• Blue Line 0600 Tracker (Hawker-Siddeley) RETIRED

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by StevieC48

2012alexg wrote:I saw a set of Hawkers at Wonderland on 8/11/10 at around 6 pm. Since it was during rush hour. They could have been used for extra service. I someone could answer this for me, I would greatly appreciate it.
I spoke to Johnathan and he related to me," That 0602/03/04/05 will be converted to work cars, since they had not ran for 10+ months, they might have been streaching the cars out and looking for what bugs to fix, if any come up."
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

There were at least two bustituions last week. Both, if I'm not mistaken had the line shut down from the Heights to Airport/Maverick. Maybe they were being used as a work crew train during that situation.
  by AEM7AC920

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:There were at least two bustituions last week. Both, if I'm not mistaken had the line shut down from the Heights to Airport/Maverick. Maybe they were being used as a work crew train during that situation.
I can't remember if it was last week or the week before but there was a derailment @ Orient heights.
  by ck4049

The MBTA Blue Line 0600s at Seashore(0622-0623 have been fixed, the air system has been cleared! :-D
  by StevieC48

Yes thanks to a dedicated voluenteer who took his own time out of his retirement to rebuild the Cineston Controller from top to bottom. I am sure it had been said to him but thanks for what you did, Now CK need to mount the poles on the cars if they are planning to run the cars on Transit Day. Good luck Paul and Bill on that task.
  by Robert Paniagua

Wait, can't they use their already installed pantographs, or is it need to be poles
  by ck4049

The cars need poles to run on the main line for reasons unknown. If you look at the overhead wire, you may find the answer! :-D
  by MBTA3247

Seashore's overhead is not designed to handle pantographs. Also, the pans on the #4 EBT cars are too short to reach the overhead!

by R36 Combine Coach

StevieC48 wrote:
ck4049 wrote:Did anyone see them running in Boston recently??? Im DYING to ride them again!
The only thing you can do CK is ride the orange line since they are sisters to the 0600's, If you need your hawker siddley fix. :wink:
Or go to PATH and ride a PA3, the 0600s and 01200s' New York cousin. Do it fast, as the PA5s will replace all of them by the end of 2011.

If the 0600s are converted to work cars, they might end up resembling this PA3 work motor .
  by sery2831

ck4049 wrote:The cars need poles to run on the main line for reasons unknown. If you look at the overhead wire, you may find the answer! :-D
Is this some sort of joke?

Seashore has trolley wire, not catenary that is required for pantograph operation. There is a way to run pantographs on trolley wire, but that requires tightening the overhead. Trolley wire is not tight and somewhat sags. Also where the frogs are in the overhead, guides would need to installed to keep the pans from getting hung up on them as they are not flat surfaces.
  by StevieC48

John if you look at the height of the catenary on the main line i belive it is 12-15ft which was placed that high to accomodate the doubbledeck trams we have. Ref from MBTA Operational Instruction Manual for Hawker Siddley B-4 Cars: Top of rail to top of car is 3 569mm 11-8 1/2 ,

So keeping that in mind the cars are too small becasue of their specifications. Hope that helps enlighten things,
  by sery2831

Seashore had high overhead, but that still has nothing to do with panto-graph operation vs poles. The Blue Line cars have small pantographs. The ones on the Type 3 snow plows reach the over head. But now we are going quite off topic!