• Pre-Inaugural Philly-Wilmington-DC Victory Movement

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by scotty269

After the Obama Express flew by Folcroft, 71&77 pulled a 5 car consist of Amfleets. Of note, at the end, was 1001 (Beech Grove)
  by amtrakhogger

DutchRailnut wrote:Wolf Blitzer(CNN) refered to PV Georgia 300 as a caboose twice as well, what do they know their just talking heads.
I cringed when Mr. Blizter and Mr. Anderson made that caboose comment. I seriously wanted to email CNN and correct them!
  by kinlock

Doesn't matter if built in 1930, 1949 or 2008; media always portrays Amtrak as "heritage stuff"

Thanks to FRA, it does not matter; they do not have mechanical problems.

Besides media says whole train, not just the Georgia car.

Cannot compare electric locomotives to airplanes. Look at the GG1!

But media cannot talk intelligently about airlines. Anybody see when the plane that dumped itself in the Hudson was built?

Last time I rode US Air, their stuff was not "spring chickens". What I ever rode was built before "pussy was a kitty"

...Ken
  by cobra30689

It would be interesting to find out how the crew was picked for this train...
Last edited by cobra30689 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Jersey_Mike

While I knew diesels would be in the mix it's a shame Obama couldn't make a statement about carbon footprints and foreign oil and use an electric locomotive with diesels live in tow for backup.
  by Alcochaser

Secret service would never agree to Electrics for main train.. They don't want something a power outage could shut down.
  by ohioriverrailway

amtrakhogger wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:Wolf Blitzer(CNN) refered to PV Georgia 300 as a caboose twice as well, what do they know their just talking heads.
I cringed when Mr. Blizter and Mr. Anderson made that caboose comment. I seriously wanted to email CNN and correct them!
I did, for whatever good it will do!
  by jonmurr

One of the brethren got his e-mail in. The CNN boys now have it as a private car at the end on the train. Really illustrates the disconnect with railroads of most of the American public since the demise of widespread rail travel. Caboose? They have been gone what, 20 years now? (I hope a forum member can chime in with what labor agreement was their demise.) To paraphrase Churchill: (never has so much stuff been moved by so few, so transparently to most people.)
BTW, love the marker mars light on the Georgia.
  by Gilbert B Norman

@ 207PM ET, MSNBC had live feed with their reporter Chuck Todd aboard the train.

As he was reporting, an Acela could clearly be seen passing Northward; hopefully, the NEC is "coming back to normal".

But allow me to acknowledge, today so far has been "good PR" for Amtrak.
  by cpontani

Jersey_Mike wrote:While I knew diesels would be in the mix it's a shame Obama couldn't make a statement about carbon footprints and foreign oil and use an electric locomotive with diesels live in tow for backup.
Diesels still are more efficient when compared to trucks or passenger cars. Sure there's wires up there, but as stated above, the Secret Service is calling the shots.

I'd love to see how others fared out today. Hopefully better pictures. How were the conditions at the other stations like Sharon Hill?
  by BuddSilverliner269

chuchubob wrote:A track inspection train, with Corridor Clipper, preceeded the Obama Special, seen passing the Schuylkill River.
Amtrak 44 and 120; Georgia 300 trailing
Georgia 300
Georgia 300
Well everyone, I have to eat my words that I posted earlier in the week. I originally didnt want to be bothered because I was worried about excessive security. I went to the Folcroft Station and took some video. I must say that although it was cold, it was great to see the trains and see history pass me as well.There were quite a few police officers around but they were really cool. They set up some boundaries and everyone obeyed them and the cops even joked with all of us.
Bob, I take it that you didnt catch the train that followed shortly behind the Obama train with the Beech Grove on the rear?
Last edited by BuddSilverliner269 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Alcochaser

The pilot train with the corridor clipper has some sort of Heritage car in Amtrak paint just buzzed the Edgewood station on the CNN camera? What is that car......