• Pre-Inaugural Philly-Wilmington-DC Victory Movement

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

CBS Radio News reports (5AM CT hour) that on January 17, President-elect Obama will ride "by train' from Philadelphia to Wash. A stop will be made at Wilmington where Vice-President-elect Biden will board.

Sounds like Lincoln could not have scripted this one any better. I'm sure the Secret Service is saying "why can't they just fly' (OT: somehow I don't think the Service will walk away untarnished from yesterday's Baghdad incident involving President Bush).

Well, I must wonder what the consist will be; Juniata Terminal equipment or an Acela? Whatever the Inauguration Committee decides, there will be symbolism attached.

Associated Press courtesy Richmond Times Dispatch

Moderator's Note: Thread title changed account duplicate threads, clarity, 12-17-08 837PM CST
  by Ken W2KB

Gilbert B Norman wrote:CBS Radio News reports (5AM CT hour) that on January 17, President-elect Obama will ride "by train' from Philadelphia to Wash. A stop will be made at Wilmington where Vice-President-elect Biden will board.

Sounds like Lincoln could not have scripted this one any better. I'm sure the Secret Service is saying "why can't they just fly' (OT: somehow I don't think the Service will walk away untarnished from yesterday's Baghdad incident involving President Bush).

Well, I must wonder what the consist will be; Juniata Terminal equipment or an Acela? Whatever the Inauguration Committee decides, there will be symbolism attached.

And I also wonder if the practice of spiking switch points aligned for the movement of the train will be followed. Also, if all other traffic will be held between the two end points to avoid any potential of a collision.
  by chefwrg

And, will it be coach? Or are we going to see a private car on the back....what a security nightmare.......
  by Greg Moore

chefwrg wrote:And, will it be coach? Or are we going to see a private car on the back....what a security nightmare.......
Security I can imagine.

But given the issues already with transit into DC, this is going to potentially make matters even worse!
  by Ken W2KB

chefwrg wrote:And, will it be coach? Or are we going to see a private car on the back....what a security nightmare.......
Perhaps it will be a multicar train without disclosing the car in which the President-elect is riding. Similar to the practice where a fleet of helicopters accompanies the President which makes it difficult to ID in which one the President is riding.

Here's a couple of graphs off the wire:

Obama to travel by train to DC for inauguration
By Deborah Charles
381 words
15 December 2008
10:48
Reuters News
English

CHICAGO, Dec 15 (Reuters) - U.S. President-elect Barack Obama will travel with his family by train from Philadelphia to Washington, D.C., the weekend before the Jan. 20 inauguration.

In the tradition of past presidents-elect who traveled by rail to Washington before they were sworn in, Obama's train will set off on Saturday, Jan. 17, from Philadelphia and make its way to Washington by evening.

"The trip marks the final leg of a journey that began on the steps of the Old State Capitol in Illinois and will culminate on the steps of the United States Capitol," the 2009 Presidential Inaugural Committee said on Monday.

Obama announced his candidacy at the Old State Capitol -- the site of Abraham Lincoln's famous "House Divided" speech in 1858 about how the United States could not continue to be divided by the issue of slavery.

On the morning of Jan. 17 Obama and his family will participate in an event in Philadelphia -- site of the first Continental Congress -- before boarding a train and traveling to Wilmington, Delaware, to pick up Vice President-elect Joe Biden and his family.

Together, the Obamas and Bidens will travel to Baltimore, Maryland, for another event, before finally arriving in Washington, D.C., on Saturday evening.

(Editing by Eric Beech)

USA-OBAMA/TRAIN (PIX)|LANGEN|G|RBN|AFA|CSA|LBY|RWSA|RWS|REULB|GNS|C|D|E|M|O|U|MTL|GRO|SOF|OIL|RNP|PGE
  by CarterB

I wonder if Obama will have to "sneak into town" like Lincoln did? For much different reasons, of course. If Rezko, Blagojevich. and/or other Cook County pols are on that train, perhaps they should "sneak in" in the 'dark of night'.
  by Kaback9

CarterB wrote:I wonder if Obama will have to "sneak into town" like Lincoln did? For much different reasons, of course. If Rezko, Blagojevich. and/or other Cook County pols are on that train, perhaps they should "sneak in" in the 'dark of night'.
I highly doubt they will be on that they will tag along with him.

My guess for the train consist is Juniata Terminal equipment.
  by hi55us

Kaback9 wrote:
CarterB wrote:I wonder if Obama will have to "sneak into town" like Lincoln did? For much different reasons, of course. If Rezko, Blagojevich. and/or other Cook County pols are on that train, perhaps they should "sneak in" in the 'dark of night'.
I highly doubt they will be on that they will tag along with him.

My guess for the train consist is Juniata Terminal equipment.
smokin joe biden on the Juniata Terminal? No shot, Biden only rides the acela, and thats the equipment they will charter. Granted they will only be using like 1 car on the train.
  by Jersey_Mike

Who were all the people saying that this could never happen due to the security concerns?

I wouldn't be surprised if Biden finds a way to use Amtrak occasionally during his term. Even better, federal funding for an Amtrak Train 1 to carry the President up and down the Northeast Corridor. Not only is it less costly than flying the President and his motorcade to nearby cities it would have a much lower carbon footprint.
And I also wonder if the practice of spiking switch points aligned for the movement of the train will be followed. Also, if all other traffic will be held between the two end points to avoid any potential of a collision.
Possibly hand operated switches, but the automatic ones would just need someone at the interlocking to ensure nothing has been tampered with. Even if a derailment does occur thanks to FRA Tier II regulations the passengers on board should come out alright.
  by 3rdrail

Gilbert B Norman wrote:CBS Radio News reports (5AM CT hour) that on January 17, President-elect Obama will ride "by train' from Philadelphia to Wash. A stop will be made at Wilmington where Vice-President-elect Biden will board.

I would have thought that all traffic would come to a halt with aerial and ground security inspection pre and during the trip...but after the incident that you mention, especially the second shoe, I'm not so sure. I have a feeling that some things might change, however.
  by hi55us

Jersey_Mike wrote:Who were all the people saying that this could never happen due to the security concerns?

I wouldn't be surprised if Biden finds a way to use Amtrak occasionally during his term. Even better, federal funding for an Amtrak Train 1 to carry the President up and down the Northeast Corridor. Not only is it less costly than flying the President and his motorcade to nearby cities it would have a much lower carbon footprint.
Possibly hand operated switches, but the automatic ones would just need someone at the interlocking to ensure nothing has been tampered with. Even if a derailment does occur thanks to FRA Tier II regulations the passengers on board should come out alright.
Amtrak 1? An Acela set with 2 power cars and 2 first class cars. Sounds like a great railfan opportunity. Why not build an electrified spur to the white house?
  by scotty269

hi55us wrote:
Jersey_Mike wrote:Who were all the people saying that this could never happen due to the security concerns?

Amtrak 1? An Acela set with 2 power cars and 2 first class cars. Sounds like a great railfan opportunity. Why not build an electrified spur to the white house?
Brilliant! :-D
  by george matthews

Some people in the Secret Service will have to get some experience of how railways are run.
  by MudLake

3rdrail wrote:

I would have thought that all traffic would come to a halt with aerial and ground security inspection pre and during the trip...but after the incident that you mention, especially the second shoe, I'm not so sure. I have a feeling that some things might change, however.
If the president can fly to Baghdad and Kabul, I would think riding on the NEC wouldn't be such a big deal that they'd have to shut the sucker down just for his train.
  by 3rdrail

MudLake wrote:If the president can fly to Baghdad and Kabul, I would think riding on the NEC wouldn't be such a big deal that they'd have to shut the sucker down just for his train.
It's only one-hundred-forty miles and one hour, forty minutes travel time. Scheduled correctly, there would be minimum disruption and maximum security achieved with less costs and manpower involved.