• Proposition two Transportation Bond Act

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by NIMBYkiller

They claim the real reason for the "new" station is b/c it would be too steep and costly to try to connect the ESA tracks with the existing GCT tracks. Whether or not this is true, I don't know.

However, if using any existings tracks at GCT was possible, I'd say MN should give LIRR the GCT lower level, and then just convert the 3rd rail at THOSE tracks to LIRR 3rd rail.

by DutchRailnut

MNCR needs all tracks in GCT during rush hour, you don't see a track empty for long.

by Long Island 7285

well I guess dutch, just put the spike in the ground on interchangeable 3rd rail. IF MN uses every track in GCT and could not fit a LI unit on any of them tracks (Via installed special over/under 3rd rail) then LIRR needs to have its own level withen GCT. how ever it's done just do it, stop talking just do it.

by jlr3266

The original plans were for LIRR to get some of the tracks on the lower level of GCT. Those tracks and platforms will now be converted to a LIRR ticket/concessions area leading down to the new caverns.

by NIMBYkiller

WTF!? I've never heard of that part. I thought the new concourse was going to be below the existing lower level.

by jlr3266

No, the spare tracks that would have been used in the flat option will be the new ticket/concession area. The two caverns and multiple stair/escalator shafts are enough without trying to mine an additional area for tickets and bagels.

The flat option required a lot of conflicting moves that are eliminated by the caverns with tail tracks. A new loop and separate tunnel back to 63rd St would help, but the property acquisitions and tunneling costs are steep. Then there is also underpinning many blocks of the Metro North tunnels in a shallow alignment.

by Long Island 7285

I guess every one don't wana blame the state Govt for the problems withen improving out transportation system

people want to expand the system has to expand with the people so the monaing and gorning about an extra train or a doubble or tripple track. get cancled out by the need for improvment..

one cancles the other tuss alowing for them to mona and grone about the improvments and just ignore them, as my post some times get ignored.... we here on long island are a bunch of selfish one way thinking people, and want every thing but if it has to come to our hoods we dont want it thre, well guess what, its eiter going there or its not happening at all. well i hope you all enjoy pissing your money to the great state of NY and getting crap in return.
for get the RR look at our roads, a simple construction project that can be done in 5 months takes 10 years in this state, instead if ignoreing me open your eyes and see the problem, and find out why does this happen?

by NIMBYkiller

So are the existing lower level tracks going to be gone?

by Long Island 7285

NO, MNCR will use them. LIRR is going to get a rediculas terminal under the MNCR lower level

by Sir Ray

Hmm, I wonder how this will tie in with the access stairs/tunnels they build on the northside of Grand Central ('Grand Central North') - I guess back in the late 1990s - so commuters didn't have to walk blocks south just to exit and turnaround to walk north again.