Railroad Forums 

• All things Pennsylvanian AND Keystone West

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1632009  by NortheastTrainMan

rcthompson04 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:50 am
NortheastTrainMan wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:29 pm Also, how was it done when engine swaps were more common? Like when Keystones regularly used diesel on the Keystone Corridor? Same / similar process?
I don't think I have seen a diesel on a Keystone in a decade other than as a rescue, a precaution for inclement weather or once functioning as a control car.
I was referring to the late 1980s into the early 2000s, pre-Keystone Corridor upgrades when Amtrak was experiencing electric locomotive issues & shortages. Back then, if I'm not mistaken, it was common to see diesels pulling Keystone trains.

This TrainOrders thread from 2001 speaks about it: https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/ ... p?4,506003

Another from Wikipedia. I know it's not 100% reliable, but it can work.
"Before the introduction of Acela electric high-speed service over the Northeast Corridor, and after facing a shortage of electric locomotives (both E60 and AEM-7 models), Amtrak used GE Genesis diesel locomotives between Harrisburg and Philadelphia, with an engine change to an electric (usually AEM-7) locomotive at 30th Street Station. Due to the slower schedules combined with higher ticket prices and competition from SEPTA, ridership declined."
- Wikipedia / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_Corridor

Lastly one from Trains Magazine forums, it also speaks on select trains using the NEC south of Philadelphia: https://cs.trains.com/trn/f/743/t/164012.aspx

"It just depends. At times when there was a shortage of electric motors AMTRAK changed all trains that O & D south of WASH and the Pennsylvanian, Braoadway, Keystone trains at PHL saving about 7 - 8 motors. Also when the New Haven - BOS CAT was finished for a time some trains continued to go diesel northeast of New Haven until all motors were operational. Remember the problems with the E-60s and HHP-8s that sideline them many days causing a very low availability."
 #1632011  by CNJGeep

The cafe cars are used when there's a cab car shortage because the cafe cars have the Wi-Fi router like the cab cars. Without one or the other the wifi will not work.
 #1633603  by NortheastTrainMan

I thought about posting this in the Unique Sightings thread, but I wasn't sure if was "Unique" enough for it.
Anyways, last week on Nov 15, 2023, I rode Amtrak Pennsylvanian 42 to New York.

When I boarded in Philadelphia, I saw what appeared to be 3 ACS-64 locomotives on the head end. But since I wanted a seat and I didn't want to stand so close to employees handling the engine change (I'm a supporter of personal space), I boarded the train.

When we got to NY Penn. I decided to take a look. Lo & Behold, there were THREE ACS-64s leading the train. I couldn't believe it. I never rode a triple header before, and they're rare to see in revenue service on the Northeast Corridor.

The engineer mentioned that one of the locomotives was dead in tow.
Never a dull moment on my rail travels.
Anyways, you can check out my video of it here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf-2TFoGVgQ
 #1634463  by Jeff Smith

Funding awarded: TribLive.com
Western Pa. lands $144M in federal funding for expanded passenger rail service

t’s all aboard for more passenger rail service in Western Pennsylvania.

Federal lawmakers said Wednesday that the Federal Railroad Administration is putting $144 million toward a project that will add a daily round trip on Amtrak’s passenger rail line between Pittsburgh and New York City.

The funding will be used to upgrade rail infrastructure along the Keystone West Corridor between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg that will allow Amtrak to add a second daily round trip on the Pennsylvanian line, which runs from Pittsburgh to New York via Harrisburg and Philadelphia.

The line also has stops in Greensburg, Latrobe, Johnstown and Altoona.
 #1634625  by edflyerssn007

Jeff Smith wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:41 am Funding awarded: TribLive.com
Western Pa. lands $144M in federal funding for expanded passenger rail service

t’s all aboard for more passenger rail service in Western Pennsylvania.

Federal lawmakers said Wednesday that the Federal Railroad Administration is putting $144 million toward a project that will add a daily round trip on Amtrak’s passenger rail line between Pittsburgh and New York City.

The funding will be used to upgrade rail infrastructure along the Keystone West Corridor between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg that will allow Amtrak to add a second daily round trip on the Pennsylvanian line, which runs from Pittsburgh to New York via Harrisburg and Philadelphia.

The line also has stops in Greensburg, Latrobe, Johnstown and Altoona.
I look forward to using a second option for when I go visit family in Pennsylvania.
 #1634643  by ExCon90

I haven't been following the development of this; no Huntingdon, Mount Union, or Lewistown? I'd think Penn State would justify Lewistown; there used to be a note in PRR timetables that it was reached (by Boalsburg Auto Bus Line?) from Lewistown.
 #1634692  by CNJGeep

The Trib is a Pittsburgh area newspaper, Lewistown and Huntingdon are a little off their patch, however the understanding is that the train will make all the same stops.

Most Penn State travels boards at Tyrone or Altoona.
 #1634703  by STrRedWolf

CNJGeep wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:16 pm The Trib is a Pittsburgh area newspaper, Lewistown and Huntingdon are a little off their patch, however the understanding is that the train will make all the same stops.

Most Penn State travels boards at Tyrone or Altoona.
Yeah, both are along I-99, and Lewistown would be "close" as well with a US highway nearby.
 #1636639  by NortheastTrainMan

So Yesterday, went to Lancaster, PA and noticed Track 1 / Platform 1 was OOS for construction.
My YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y_1cpmwoNs

My Story / Details: On Jan 13, 2024, I decided to take what I thought would be a quick day trip to Lancaster, PA. The day trip part remained constant, however, the "quick" part wasn't up to speed (yes, that was a pun :P ). Unbeknownst to me, Amtrak was doing construction on platform 1. As you can see, Track 1 is covered for its protection during construction. Moreover, a significant section of the eastern portion of platform 1 has been completely demolished.

Prior to my arrival in Lancaster, Amtrak texted me saying Pennsylvanian 42 was about 15 min late. After seeing Lancaster was single tracked, I didn't think much of it, because it's in between 2 double cross interlockings: CORK (West) & CONESTOGA (East). That 15 mins ballooned to about an hour. It was so severe that Amtrak Keystone 670, which is scheduled to depart AFTER Pennsylvanian 42 actually was routed AHEAD of 42. Moreover, it was so packed that 42's passengers HAD to take 42.

Was I annoyed? Well, no, not by Amtrak. It was the EXTREME WINDINESS. You can obviously hear it, but you may see the hair of some passengers flying in the wind. I did my best to stay steady and add transitions to combat the shakiness when the wind tried to knock me over.

In any case, I don't get to see operations like this often. Another interesting day on Amtrak's Keystone Corridor / PRR's Main Line. Hopefully you enjoy, and certainly you won't have to deal with the wind. Unless you decide to watch this video outside, that's on you.

There might be an Easter Egg in this video.......hint...it's the opposite of "public." :-D
 #1636735  by NortheastTrainMan

A little while back, I inquired on what operations were like during the "diesel era" for the Keystones. Specifically the late 90s into the Mid 2000s.

Last week, we got a blast from the past. Due to extremely inclement weather along the Keystone Corridor, there were outages, which led to A TON of Keystone Service trains being canceled.

Apparently, the few that ran between Harrisburg & Philadelphia used *drumroll please* DIESELS, specifically P42DCs. For the extra razzle dazzle, one was a heritage unit in Phase 2 paint!
This YouTube video by Rail Bluff captures it very well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqfwqsNaIuc