Railroad Forums 

• SILVERLINER 5 RETIREMENT?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1630781  by Emmett

answer to #1: There's been I wanna say 6-7 times i've been out railfanning and i hear a septa announcement go off about a train being delayed due to 'mechanical problems' and i check the app and its a set of 4's.

answer to #2: yes they went oos for that in '16. as far as i know, not since then anything major.

answer to #3: yes actually. if u want video proof me and my friend caught Spax 52 rescuing a 6 car set a while back. if you want video proof, go to @halgoonta on yt and search spax 52 rescue or just spax 52. the guy in the middle of the video is me.
 #1631876  by rcthompson04

I am not sure I have heard Silverliner V whining lately. As a rider they seem quite dependable (never had one die in the middle of a run while I was riding) and are great to ride (I like to sit in the first usable seat and watch where we are going).

Besides being old, the Silverliner IVs are doing a good job especially considering their age. The shops are doing a good job keeping them running.
 #1631953  by Emmett

yeah just like (for as long as they could) with the AEM/ALP's i commend those shop guys for keeping all them running. note on the whining, I only hear it on the trenton (or as a philadelphian "tren'n line") because they're basically topping out speedwise. no other line have i heard them whine lately. maybe the lansdale line past north wales cuz it gets up to 80.