• SILVERLINER 5 RETIREMENT?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Emmett

answer to #1: There's been I wanna say 6-7 times i've been out railfanning and i hear a septa announcement go off about a train being delayed due to 'mechanical problems' and i check the app and its a set of 4's.

answer to #2: yes they went oos for that in '16. as far as i know, not since then anything major.

answer to #3: yes actually. if u want video proof me and my friend caught Spax 52 rescuing a 6 car set a while back. if you want video proof, go to @halgoonta on yt and search spax 52 rescue or just spax 52. the guy in the middle of the video is me.
  by R36 Combine Coach

The first Silverliner IVs (the Reading single units) will turn 50 in November/December 2023.
  by Emmett

d*mn they're old
  by rcthompson04

I am not sure I have heard Silverliner V whining lately. As a rider they seem quite dependable (never had one die in the middle of a run while I was riding) and are great to ride (I like to sit in the first usable seat and watch where we are going).

Besides being old, the Silverliner IVs are doing a good job especially considering their age. The shops are doing a good job keeping them running.
  by Emmett

yeah just like (for as long as they could) with the AEM/ALP's i commend those shop guys for keeping all them running. note on the whining, I only hear it on the trenton (or as a philadelphian "tren'n line") because they're basically topping out speedwise. no other line have i heard them whine lately. maybe the lansdale line past north wales cuz it gets up to 80.