Railroad Forums 

• AMTRAK'S ALC-42'S and ALC-42E'S paint scheme questio +question about where the new ALC-42'S operate

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1616733  by STrRedWolf

Emmett wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:40 am will there be ALC-42's on the keystone corridor in early 2024? I'm very excited for them
Only on the Pennsylvanian. Not on the Keystone trains.
 #1616748  by Railjunkie

Emmett wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:33 am still super excited for them on the 42/43. can't wait for #301
Amtrak tends to keep there engines in pools or certain areas of the country. Once it is in a certain area it tends to stay there. The current P42s are the exception as they are pulling stuff out of storage due to the issues with the new Siemens junk I mean locomotives. I see and handle the same numbers on the Lake Shore almost everyday as an example.
 #1616762  by Railjunkie

Scuttlebutt has we may see them later this year on the Lake Shore, cant speak to 42/43 not qualified on the territory and I do not know anyone who works down there. Looks like this could be a case of good old school rail buffing. Just going to have to wait and see.

On the railroad only believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear.
 #1616769  by MACTRAXX

Emmett wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:40 am will there be ALC-42's on the keystone corridor in early 2024? I'm very excited for them
Emmett - From your posts I believe that you are a young man very much interested in Amtrak...

Unfortunately some of your posts make me think of "That six-letter rail enthusiast F word" - as a new
member joining this month your Forum experience will be better from not overreacting on subjects...

I am also interested myself in Amtrak color schemes - liveries and their evolving 52 year history.
There is a plethora of photographs available of past and present equipment - the new equipment
will be in the public realm with plenty of information available when they are built and delivered...

My "Words of Wisdom" here is to sometimes "Let It Be" and allow the process concerning Amtrak's
new equipment to run its course. There is no sense in being over-enthusiastic about a subject that
you have no control over and are not "being paid the big bucks" to overview...MACTRAXX
 #1616810  by andrewjw

Emmett wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:30 pm ok. but how do my posts make me seem like that word. cuz thats not what i am. im a railfan, not a six letter derogatory word for railfans. I just want to be able to know things that concern amtrak around me.

but yes, I got you
you repeatedly asked the same question about a topic that applies only to yourself when the information is readily available, and when the question had already been answered, implying that you thought maybe asking again would perhaps get a different answer you'd like more (or maybe somehow change reality?)

we are not here to be your research assistants, you have access to the same public information as the rest of us.
 #1634034  by Emmett

Railjunkie wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:19 pm Scuttlebutt has we may see them later this year on the Lake Shore, cant speak to 42/43 not qualified on the territory and I do not know anyone who works down there. Looks like this could be a case of good old school rail buffing. Just going to have to wait and see.
yeah. also obviously i'm making this post a lot later than before. recently there was a ALC-42 test train ran on the NEC! (ALC-42 penny here we come :eyes: )
 #1634070  by NortheastTrainMan

MACTRAXX wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:41 pm RW - Amtrak is being OVERLY OPTOMISTIC about the timelines of the Airo trainset procurement process.

I remember mention of thought at the Airo train topic that the earliest we would see some of this new
equipment fully tested and accepted for everyday service is in the late 2020s and beyond...

The ICT motors are unproven and untested new technology that should not be placed in service until
beyond a reasonable doubt that they are reliable enough to replace any currently used equipment.

If the delays and problems concerning the new Acela Two trainsets and ALC42 locomotives are any
indication of what may lie ahead we may be waiting for an extra period of years before any Airo trains
get finally placed into service...All of this seems to me far longer than what past equipment timelines
were from order to delivery and testing - and finally being accepted and placed into service.

IN closing speculating about trivial matters such as new equipment color schemes does not matter
until the finished product is out there in everyday Amtrak service...MACTRAXX
Wholeheartedly agree and you brought up amazing points. Especially when you drew a parallel to the Acela 2 trainsets. They've spent more time in Penn Coach Yard than out on the road.

This video by Alan Fisher is an amazing deep dive into the Acela 2's issues delaying their deployment -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COiFtgCTf-M

Although that video is on Acela 2, the same ethos can be applied to the Airo trainsets. Testing will likely go beyond projected deadlines because the equipment is brand new, rather than a reconfigured & trusted model. I'm sitting here reading your reply like "why didn't I think of that?" Great breakdown man.