Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1592998  by Gilbert B Norman

Volks, are we sure we are not jumping into the deep end over this?

I don't think Amtrak is in any particular rush to get this equipment into revenue service. At present, I learned here that several existing Acela sets are stored and not needed to operate the existing level of service.

Finally, I would think that Amtrak would just as soon have a "maskless inaugural" ("rollout" seems to be newspeak around here).
 #1593024  by PHLSpecial

RandallW wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:42 pm I'd think they want the full 7" cant testing to be completed before the full seated load testing as the degree of cant allowed determines maximum comfortable speed through curves.
Would you be able to explain this in a causal term. I'm a software engineer not a train engineer :P
 #1593031  by 8th Notch

No official speed changes are going to come out before the train set clears the required testing phase. As I stated a few posts ago, 90 mph train type C is the max speed the FRA is allowing it to be moved at during non testing runs until the issues get solved. The current 150 stretches in MA and R.I should both see upgrades off the bat, various other locations on the railroad may also see 5-10 mph upgrades as well.
 #1593035  by daybeers

PHLSpecial wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:58 pm
RandallW wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:42 pm I'd think they want the full 7" cant testing to be completed before the full seated load testing as the degree of cant allowed determines maximum comfortable speed through curves.
Would you be able to explain this in a causal term. I'm a software engineer not a train engineer :P
Cant is the measurement of how much the train tilts. 7" is the maximum tilt allowed. They're saying they want to complete testing at the highest degree of tilt before testing with the weight of a sold out train, as the degree of tilt allowed determines the speed limits around curves. Tilt is only for passenger comfort; the power cars don't tilt. I wonder how the tilting feels in the power cars, as the tilting around some curves in Delaware and Connecticut is definitely noticeable in a cool way.
 #1593063  by Ken W2KB

This FRA document explains cant and superelevation with respect to train operating speed, etc.: http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Documents ... tation.pdf