• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by MattW

Cant (no apostrophe) is the difference in height between the low rail and high rail in a superelevated curve. Cant deficiency I believe is how far over the "balance speed" for a given cant is. So a train with a 4" cant deficiency, on a 7" cant track, is going at a speed that it would be perfectly balanced on an 11" cant. I'm sure our resident railroad folks can explain that better, and maybe correct me if I misspoke.
  by photobug56

No, what I recall from what's been said here, CANT has been quoted as one of the problems with A2. I do sort of understand what CANT is. I do try to remind myself that while the cars can tilt to help passengers not feel the effect of curves, that locomotives do not, plus that the fact a car can tilt does not eliminate the issue of what a car can handle, CANT wise.

As I recall, there were also issues with the pantographs versus the rather ancient catenary that's not constant tension.
  by Bracdude181

If the issues are because of the old PRR catenary then how does it fare on the areas where there’s constant tension wire? (Morrisville to New Brunswick)

Another friend who I haven’t seen in a while mentioned traction motor issues but I wouldn’t know anything about that if it was going on.
  by Ken W2KB

MattW wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:08 pm Cant (no apostrophe) is the difference in height between the low rail and high rail in a superelevated curve. Cant deficiency I believe is how far over the "balance speed" for a given cant is. So a train with a 4" cant deficiency, on a 7" cant track, is going at a speed that it would be perfectly balanced on an 11" cant. I'm sure our resident railroad folks can explain that better, and maybe correct me if I misspoke.
CANT, tilting cars, etc. is well explained with text, formulae and diagrams here: https://www.irjet.net/archives/V4/i12/IRJET-V4I1296.pdf
  by bostontrainguy

Ken W2KB wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:24 pm CANT, tilting cars, etc. is well explained with text, formulae and diagrams here: https://www.irjet.net/archives/V4/i12/IRJET-V4I1296.pdf
That's interesting and informative and it makes me wonder if a much simpler, cheaper, lighter, and far less maintenance pendulum system would be adequate on the NEC. The difference looks rather minor and the cost advantages over the life of the train would probably be huge. It just might make more sense. I just don't know how much the difference would be between the two in operational speed.
  by RandallW

bostontrainguy wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:24 pm CANT, tilting cars, etc. is well explained with text, formulae and diagrams here: https://www.irjet.net/archives/V4/i12/IRJET-V4I1296.pdf
That's interesting and informative and it makes me wonder if a much simpler, cheaper, lighter, and far less maintenance pendulum system would be adequate on the NEC. The difference looks rather minor and the cost advantages over the life of the train would probably be huge. It just might make more sense. I just don't know how much the difference would be between the two in operational speed.
Passive / pendulum tilting systems cannot tilt as far as active tilting systems, so they have speed restrictions the active tilting system won't have for the same trackage. Trains with passive pendulum tilting system have been used in the NEC before, but I don't know their schedules were. I think the Talgo trains in Washington state are limited to tilt only 3 degrees but are (if I understand correctly) designed for 5 degrees of tilt. It's entirely possible that most of the anticipated speed increases over the Acela I trains is based on a higher degree of tilt in the Acela II trains.
  by bostontrainguy

BandA wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:32 am Instead of tilting the coach, tilt the passenger seats.
I was involved in the high-speed rail tests on the NEC in the eighties. We did several runs with various trains and part of that included being seated and standing during the tests. I actually experienced sharp ankle pain while standing and negotiating a curve at high speed in an Amfleet I. The entire car has to tilt for passenger comfort unless you want to strap everyone in like a rollercoaster and then you could really cut the travel time. Probably need Dramamine however.

I did try to find out some info comparing passive vs. active tilting and without serious investigation I quickly found some information. I found that passive tilting allows up to a 20% increase in speed on curves while active tilt allows up to 35% increase in speed.
  by mcgrath618

Re: the catenary issues, last I heard the issue was pan bounce and that it had been effectively mitigated by running with only the rear pan and by outfitting said pan with spoilers (which create lift and keep the pan in contact with the wire).
  by scratchyX1

mcgrath618 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:57 am Re: the catenary issues, last I heard the issue was pan bounce and that it had been effectively mitigated by running with only the rear pan and by outfitting said pan with spoilers (which create lift and keep the pan in contact with the wire).
vin diesel silly car franchise approved method