Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1592604  by Pensyfan19

Matt Johnson wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:42 am Test runs have ground to a halt. No official word, but reading between the lines would suggest that something is wrong with the trains.
And I guess that's why they call it '23.
Time sitting there, could be time in service.
Proposed for '21. Problems with Pantos.
Only 3 sets built. Delayed as usual.
And I guess that's why they call it '23

(Sung to the tune of "I Guess That’s Why They Call It the Blues" by Elton John)
 #1592610  by TheOneKEA

Matt Johnson wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:42 am Test runs have ground to a halt. No official word, but reading between the lines would suggest that something is wrong with the trains.
Well that’s disappointing. There are still only 3-4 trains on Amtrak property at this time, correct? I’d be curious to know if the ongoing IC chip shortage may be playing a part in the delays…
 #1592630  by mcgrath618

TheOneKEA wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:30 pm
Well that’s disappointing. There are still only 3-4 trains on Amtrak property at this time, correct? I’d be curious to know if the ongoing IC chip shortage may be playing a part in the delays…
There are two. Set 1 is back with Alstom to have its interior fitted.
 #1592651  by Matt Johnson

8th Notch wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:25 pm
Would you believe that there is actually rumor floating around that Amtrak is possibly trying to get out/cancel the order…
That would be shocking. Alstom isn't exactly Super Steel Schenectady, and I imagine has corporate pride as well as money at stake in this latest export of the legendary TGV product line.
 #1592656  by TheOneKEA

Matt Johnson wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:06 pm
Would you believe that there is actually rumor floating around that Amtrak is possibly trying to get out/cancel the order…
That would be shocking. Alstom isn't exactly Super Steel Schenectady, and I imagine has corporate pride as well as money at stake in this latest export of the legendary TGV product line.
I would be beyond shocked if Amtrak tried to get out of the order. The current Acela fleet is supposedly near end-of-life already and if they get retired with no replacements available, the remainder Corridor services would be hugely overcrowded, even if the trains could be lengthened.

What defects could be so severe that Amtrak would even dangle the possibility of an order cancellation? It feels like a last-ditch negotiation tactic to get Alstom to fix whatever problems were found during testing.
 #1592684  by Greg Moore

Would I believe such a rumor is floating around? Sure.
Would I believe such a rumor? No.
 #1592793  by RandallW

Per http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Documents ... uppert.pdf:
  • "Delay in dynamic modeling correlation activities needed for high-speed qualification testing & approval (160 mph, up to 7” cant deficiency)"
  • "Railway dynamics testing for qualification (160 mph, up to 7” cant deficiency) targeted for Fall of 2022"
  • "Full seated load railway dynamics & friction brake testing and acoustic measurement" targeted for late 2022