• MOM Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ryanov

Enough with the private entity stuff. Transportation doesn't work that way. There's ample history there.
  by GSC

Some years back, a high-speed electric line was proposed to run from Point Pleasant, through Lakewood, and on to Trenton. A lot of that right-of-way still exists today (Point Pleasant to Lakewood). Maybe that could be a possibility to become the MOM line, running more or less along the I-195 corridor. It could hook in somewhere to the NEC near Trenton. Also, much of the old trolley line that ran between the Pennsy Main / NEC and the Camden & Amboy is still there as a power line ROW.
The simplest bet is to use existing, still mostly intact, rail lines. The land is there, bridges built over and under the ROWs. Just do it.
  by CJPat

The high speed line ROW between Pt Pleasant and Trenton was initially developed (only between Pt Pleasant and Lakewood) back around 1910-1917. I think they laid enough stick rail to do a trial run but the whole investment failed and the development stopped. If I recall, the steel for the track was pulled up during WWI for a scrap drive. The ROW is used for power lines and runs between downtown Lakewood and terminates in the vicinity of the canal. I don't think there is any ROW left west of Lakewood.

The rail line you were suggesting for MOM that should parallel I-195 and connect with NEC would be the old Jamesburg branch that connected from Monmouth Junction thru Jamesburg, Englishtown, Freehold, Farmingdale, and terminating in Sea Girt/Manasquan, which, at least partially, was obviously one of the routes desired for Mom and held up by the Jamesburg NIMBYs.

Connecting closer to Trenton defeats the purpose MOM was supposed to provide, which was relief of commuter traffic towards NYC (get cars off the Parkway and Rt 9)

Face it, if the Jamesburg political favors can stop a proposed route on an existing set of tracks that are already in use, there isn't a snowball's chance in Hades that new ROW would be purchased and all new track laid.

And finally, please don't forget that even if the train made it to the NEC, there is no current slots available to get another train onto the tracks headed Northeast. The best you could hope for would be a transfer station in Dayton or North Brunswick. It sounds almost like you would have a better chance at running a Princeton Style Dinky up the Southern from Lakewood to transfer at Red Bank (but that misses the Freehold Population adder).
  by ApproachMedium

You dont need slots to get trains to NYC. Why cant anyone understand that there is a huge communing populus to and from new burnswick area/route 18 corridor?
  by CJPat

Keep in mind, although New Brunswick may be considered a more significant destination then say, Highland Park, it is not a huge employer. It would contribute to the quantity of rail passengers but is not a significant terminus. Merck and J&J have cut very far back in the last 15-20 years. Rutgers is one of the few major employers of that area. There are a lot of jobs, but not huge quantities. Add to that what I said about no more availability of slots onto the NEC for new trains and the NIMBYs of Jamesburg and I it remains a hard uphill battle.
  by ApproachMedium

Commuters doesnt have to be employees, there are plenty of college students and people who use RWJ for health care needs.
  by GSC

A Dinky shuttle between Lakewood and Red Bank would be a good start, and I doubt a lot of NIMBY opposition. Most of the Southern is in lightly populated areas.
  by JohnFromJersey

GSC wrote:A Dinky shuttle between Lakewood and Red Bank would be a good start, and I doubt a lot of NIMBY opposition. Most of the Southern is in lightly populated areas.
Problem would be the tracks. They're in really poor shape, and a lot of NIMBY's would add that to their list of "arguments." Plus, why would anyone want to take a 15 MPH shuttle, when they could drive triple, even quadruple that, to a different train station? And even so, you're in your car already for a long drive, so might as well drive to NYC.

Most of the track issues seem to be tie-related, so hopefully they could get it done in a timely and cost-efficient manner. But this is New Jersey, where they always seem to mess things up somehow.

I'd love to see a shuttle service. Not the thing we've been asking for decades, but it's sure better than nothing.
  by kilroy

A shuttle isn't worth the expense. No one wants to change trains, possible multiple times if you need to take a subway or two in NYC.

Until the new Gateway tunnels are built and operational AND the current tunnels rehabilitated, no point is doing anything with MOM or several other NJT rail revivals. Without additional capacity into NYC (and storage as well), everything is a non-starter.

I know not everyone goes to NYC but a vast majority do and nothing will generate the passenger counts needed if it doesn't make getting to NYC easier and/or more economical.
  by JohnFromJersey

kilroy wrote:A shuttle isn't worth the expense. No one wants to change trains, possible multiple times if you need to take a subway or two in NYC.

Until the new Gateway tunnels are built and operational AND the current tunnels rehabilitated, no point is doing anything with MOM or several other NJT rail revivals. Without additional capacity into NYC (and storage as well), everything is a non-starter.

I know not everyone goes to NYC but a vast majority do and nothing will generate the passenger counts needed if it doesn't make getting to NYC easier and/or more economical.
The only thing I can see happening regarding the MOM line is maybe reconnect the Southern Secondary down to Winslow Junction; you could perhaps take a few freight trains (and some passenger trains) off the NEC and use the Southern Secondary as an overflow line.

The ROW of still exists, it's just a matter of getting the NIMBY's (if any, below Woodmansie, it's just the Pine Barrens) to back off.
  by JohnFromJersey

Anything new?
  by time

I doubt we'll see any mention of this project until after the Gateway project is on track for delivery. Not because of the capacity issues, since you could have transfers in Newark and/or go to Hoboken, but because NJT's focus is on NYC capacity and reliability issues and they won't ask for additional major capital expenditures until that Gateway project is on track.
  by R&DB

Any chance of THE tunnel going forward with Trumps infrastucture plans?
  by amtrakowitz

R&DB wrote:Any chance of THE tunnel going forward with Trumps infrastucture plans?
No, and what does that have to do with this project?
  by OportRailfan

R&DB wrote:Any chance of THE tunnel going forward with Trumps infrastucture plans?
No.