Railroad Forums 

• MOM Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1626590  by Kaback9

JohnFromJersey wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:13 pm
Kaback9 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:01 pm The point remains the infrastructure even with a new tunnels needs to be upgraded in order to handle expansions.
Even with the tunnels, and expansion of the tracks, you're going to overwhelm the stations. Exchange Place and Communipaw should've never been closed down. NJT (and Amtrak) need more terminating points than just running directly into NYC via NY Penn and Hoboken. There needs to be another terminal that either has new PATH tunnels or some sort of ferry service attached to it.
I feel like we're getting a bit off the MOM topic here, but yes agreed there should be another place to terminate. However it feels like that ship may have sailed. The CNJ terminal is cutoff and not coming back especially given what happened in the wake of Sandy. (Big CNJ fan here, don't see that one ever coming back)

Love it or hate it there are only a few options left to work with, PATH expansions would help, but that's an argument for a different thread.
 #1626711  by JohnFromJersey

I feel that it is relevant to discuss a new terminal, since Hoboken and NY Penn, even when the new tunnels are up and running, are already overloaded. Adding a new route (MOM) that will bring in a fair amount of commuters that need to go to termination points will only cause more strain, unless you have MOM end in Red Bank/Matawan/Monmouth Junction/some sort of combination of the three, which won't be super popular if people have to transfer trains. But you can't always get what you want...

Communipaw could still be reactivated. There are more than a few ways for trains to get into that area by rail, but it would be a rather awkward route, and you'd need to expand the ROWs there to accommodate passenger rail and very long freight trains.
 #1626712  by JohnFromJersey

What would be interesting, would be to rebuild the CNJ connection from Matawan to Atlantic Highlands, have it terminate there, and have commuters take the ferry from Atlantic Highlands.
Last edited by JohnFromJersey on Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1626714  by JohnFromJersey

That would require MOM trains to dump out onto the NJCL, which is already pretty busy and congested around South Amboy IIRC. With going to Atlantic Highlands, you could bypass dumping out on the NJCL (but still stop at Matawan if people would want to transfer), go straight to Highlands, and terminate at a ferry facility.
 #1626717  by Kaback9

JohnFromJersey wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:59 pm I feel that it is relevant to discuss a new terminal, since Hoboken and NY Penn, even when the new tunnels are up and running, are already overloaded. Adding a new route (MOM) that will bring in a fair amount of commuters that need to go to termination points will only cause more strain, unless you have MOM end in Red Bank/Matawan/Monmouth Junction/some sort of combination of the three, which won't be super popular if people have to transfer trains. But you can't always get what you want...

I think we're pretty lenient in what is allowed. Like i said above I agree a third terminal or someway to alleviate congestion is needed. However the topic of a third terminal pertains more to general expansion.
 #1634887  by JohnFromJersey

Drove on Route 9 through the Greater Freehold Area yesterday during rush hour.

It is awful. MOM is needed
 #1634888  by Bracdude181

It was really bad towards where it meets 18. Usually is during evening rush because of how that interchange is set up. I was up in North Jersey scouting for odd trains and elected to take the parkway home after my gps said how much traffic there was.

If it were up to me there’d be a lot more roundabout intersections and strict enforcement of the “keep right except to pass” rule. Those IMO are the biggest grievances of driving on that godforsaken road.
 #1634964  by GSC

Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:08 am It was really bad towards where it meets 18. Usually is during evening rush because of how that interchange is set up. I was up in North Jersey scouting for odd trains and elected to take the parkway home after my gps said how much traffic there was.

If it were up to me there’d be a lot more roundabout intersections and strict enforcement of the “keep right except to pass” rule. Those IMO are the biggest grievances of driving on that godforsaken road.
While traffic lights are surely needed, what gripes me is how you catch almost every one every time. If they can be timed so you catch them each time, they can certainly be timed so you don't. So many improvements are needed to old ways that used to work. I understand the costs are prohibitive to relieve some of the pinch points, but some of you older folks might remember when Route 9 and Ernston Road had a traffic light. Common sense prevailed (this time) and an over-under intersection was created. Having driven 18-wheelers, school buses, taxis and limos, all too often up and down the Route 9 corridor, I surely agree some form of MOM needs to be put in place. Multi-million dollar studies aren't needed, just try a little rush hour on Route 9 in Freehold or the Parkway and Rt 37 in Toms River.
 #1635010  by R&DB

#1634964 by GSC
by Bracdude181 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:08 am
I lived in Howell for over 30 years, both East and West of Rte 9. I commuted to North Jersey for over 20 of those years and almost never took Rte 9. We knew back in the 80s MOM was needed and even more now. But until there is more Trans-Hudson capacity we are not going to get MOM. Retired now and no longer commuting and a little further South (Toms River) it doesn't effect me as much as it used to, but the Rte 9 corridor still is awfull!