• MOM Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ApproachMedium

They dont need to maintain automatic signals, and flexable signal braking distances/speeds can be done with advanced hardware.
  by OportRailfan

rr503 wrote:Enlighten the signally illeterate -- what is the significance/are the benefits (if any) of (NORAC, I assume) 562?
Yes NORAC rule 562. All cab signals, no waysides except home signals at interlockings, and the ability to display the "C" light, Rule 280A - Clear to Next Interlocking for Trains with their cabs cut out. No wayside automatic signals to maintain, and typically the blocks get smaller to allow higher-density signalling (more trains, in the same amount of track)
  by rr503

Ah wow! Thanks for the info. So if I'm understanding correctly, this'll be something akin to what MNR runs?

Does any other NJT line have this feature?
  by OportRailfan

rr503 wrote:Ah wow! Thanks for the info. So if I'm understanding correctly, this'll be something akin to what MNR runs?

The NEC line between County and Ham, and Rea and "A" interlockings. Don't know of any NJT owned lines that are already 562'ed.
  by ApproachMedium

OportRailfan wrote:
rr503 wrote:Ah wow! Thanks for the info. So if I'm understanding correctly, this'll be something akin to what MNR runs?

The NEC line between County and Ham, and Rea and "A" interlockings. Don't know of any NJT owned lines that are already 562'ed.
Hello, the entire Passcack valley line. A bunch of the M&E has been done now to but not all of it. The Southern Tier is being cut over.
  by OportRailfan

ApproachMedium wrote:
OportRailfan wrote:

Hello, the entire Passcack valley line. A bunch of the M&E has been done now to but not all of it. The Southern Tier is being cut over.
The pascack valley line had all the US&S shit ripped out.
  by ApproachMedium

They have 562 is what i am referring to. they didnt rip that out
  by OportRailfan

ApproachMedium wrote:They have 562 is what i am referring to. they didnt rip that out
I'm referring to the US&S PTC ASES stuff that they ripped out.
  by ApproachMedium

that was not part of the subject at all. We were talking about NJT lines that were 562
  by braves

I wonder if the new Executive Director will get this study started up again?
  by Backshophoss

This might wait till NJT gets it's act back together,the "Christie legacy" has done plenty of damage.
  by R&DB

There are recent rumors that Gov. Murphy would like to see NJT service from NYP to AC using the route through Lakewood to Winslow Junction, joining the AC line at the junction. I don't know what route this possible service would take north of Farmingdale, it would follow the MOM route from there south to Lakehurst, the MOM proposed southern terminus. The logical route (most direct) would be the alternate MOM alignment through Red Bank with only a few stops. This would make MOM possible, but would not serve the western Monmouth (Route 9) corridor through Freehold, the primary reason for MOM.
Regardless of route, it would have to be time and cost competitive with highway travel. This means track and signal upgrades to FRA Class 4 allowing 80 mph running for a large stretch of the way. We all know the proposed MOM alignments all require at least Class 3. (60 mph) Along the MOM routes Class 4 is probably not possible due to all the grade crossings.
The ACES service (NYP - AC via PHI that ended in 2011) had very low ridership. This would be no different, but could push MOM forward.
My personal thoughts on MOM alignments:
Move southern terminus to Toms River. Originate some trains at TR and route them through Red Bank, running express from there to Newark Airport. Originate others near Farmingdale and route them via Monmouth Junction, running express from Jamesburg to New Brunswick and again from NB Newark Airport. Upgrading the track to Class 4 from Asbury Rd to Hamilton Rd to Class 4 would cut some run time. Same from Jamesburg to Monmouth Jct. These routes could relieve both the Rte. 9 corridor and Parkway problems south of the Monmouth/Ocean border. One wishing to go from Toms River or Lakewood to Freehold or New Brunswick could change trains at Farmingdale.
  by necrails

Harry NJT couldn't get one version of the MOM expansion built and here you are advocating for two, one to Red Bank and the other to MJ. The best alternative and probably the most expensive would have been to MJ giving folks from the shore region access to New Brunswick or trains to Philadelphia and Trenton. Given the resistance in Jamesburg and South Brunswick it will never be built. Why NJT would spend money linking AC to the main system is a mystery, IMO far to expensive for too little return.
  by trainster78

I like Harry’s idea, however where would the fleet for this come from? Most of the F40s have been sold off, same with the FH-2 units, the PH-2A units are possibly returning, and the PH-2s are being rebuilt into work engines. As for rolling stock, the Comet IV cabs are a possibility, compared to the Comet IIIs, which are rotting away in Bay Head.
  by R&DB

necrails » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:10 pm
I was not advocating, just giving my 'what if' views on operations. Cost of construction obviously prohibits MOM. And you are right about the NIMBYs west of Freehold. Just run the Red Bank route, extended to Toms River. No MOM, just MO. You could add Freehold later with either a F'hold - F'dale shuttle or a F'hold - NYP train.
trainster78 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:32 pm
Comet IV Cabs, ALP-45DPs and rebuild the Comet IIIs (probably cheaper to rebuild than buy new)

A shuttle bus (accessible) from Lakehurst to Whiting for the huge senior population there could generate more traffic. Also, track upgrades to Class 3 for entire line with Class 4 from Hamilton Rd ( Tinton Falls) to Asbury Rd (Howell). This would shave about 1.5 min. off the trip.