Railroad Forums 

• MOM Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1467260  by ApproachMedium

They should not run anything else to NYC from that way. The line, other than maybe direct service NYP-AC would be the only thing. Any other service should just be a TR to Red Bank scoot kinda like how long island railroad does. You make red bank the transfer stop and the small red bank yard could be used as a layup between runs. This would provide the service without impacting current service into NYP, which there are no more available slots for new trains to NYP at the moment.
 #1467268  by CJPat

I don't think Red Bank would be a practical transfer point. 5 miles east of that, you would be getting off the train at Long Branch for that forced transfer (diesel to electric). As a minimum, you would probably need to run all the way to Long Branch from TR so it isn't any more inconvenient. They would then use the Long Branch Yard.
 #1467310  by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

CJPat wrote:I don't think Red Bank would be a practical transfer point. 5 miles east of that, you would be getting off the train at Long Branch for that forced transfer (diesel to electric). As a minimum, you would probably need to run all the way to Long Branch from TR so it isn't any more inconvenient. They would then use the Long Branch Yard.
Red Bank is within the electrified zone of the NJCL. Long Branch is "railroad west" of Red Bank, 2 stations further down the line. No extra transfer would be required. And running to LB would require reverse move once on the Coast Line from the Southern Secondary.

That said the track layout at RB station simply 2 thru tracks and not optimal for termination/ origination point. The yard and junction with Southern also is just RR west of the station.
 #1467318  by mtuandrew

Why isn’t this two service proposals? The shore route should go the path of least resistance via Red Bank to the Jersey Central, with Monmouth County served either via a South Brunswick shuttle or (my preferred solution) via Perth Amboy to the C&A.
 #1467364  by R&DB

ApproachMedium wrote:
This would provide the service without impacting current service into NYP, which there are no more available slots for new trains to NYP at the moment.
How about terminate at Newark Penn. instead of NYP? Transfers there would be much easier to PATH or wait for next NJT or Amtrak Regional train that goes to NYP.

mtuandrew wrote:
Monmouth County served either via a South Brunswick shuttle or (my preferred solution) via Perth Amboy to the C&A.
I agree with the Amboy Seconday routing, but it requires overcoming the NIMBY attitude in Jamesburg. Again terminate Newark.
 #1467376  by CJPat

R&DB wrote:Red Bank is within the electrified zone of the NJCL. Long Branch is "railroad west" of Red Bank, 2 stations further down the line. No extra transfer would be required.....
My Bad, you are correct. I was thinking LB was above Red Bank for some reason. thank You for the correction.
 #1467385  by R&DB

CjPat,
Actually that was
Return to Reading Company Olney Sta » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:22 pm
I've made similar mistakes commenting on areas of the country I'm not as familiar with, but Monmouth County railroading is my forte. Even remember the last of the PRR K4s on the NY&LB! :-)
 #1467438  by CJPat

R&DB wrote:CjPat,
Actually that was
Return to Reading Company Olney Sta » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:22 pm
I've made similar mistakes commenting on areas of the country I'm not as familiar with, but Monmouth County railroading is my forte. Even remember the last of the PRR K4s on the NY&LB! :-)
I am just scoring left & right, so:
My apologies to Return to Reading Company Olney Sta! :-)
 #1467439  by Backshophoss

Figure this has been back burnered again,NJT NEEDS to get their ACSES gear up and RUNNING NOW,or wind up not allowed on the NEC.
 #1467468  by ApproachMedium

R&DB wrote:ApproachMedium wrote:
This would provide the service without impacting current service into NYP, which there are no more available slots for new trains to NYP at the moment.
How about terminate at Newark Penn. instead of NYP? Transfers there would be much easier to PATH or wait for next NJT or Amtrak Regional train that goes to NYP.

mtuandrew wrote:
Monmouth County served either via a South Brunswick shuttle or (my preferred solution) via Perth Amboy to the C&A.
I agree with the Amboy Seconday routing, but it requires overcoming the NIMBY attitude in Jamesburg. Again terminate Newark.
One of the major concerns is the lack of throughput on the coast line during rush hours. A stop like red bank made into a transfer would work. You dont even have to do it on the existing platform, a new platform off in the yard could be made. Certain trains could be made into through trains maybe off of a matawan or south amboy turn. Running up to newark also poses a capacity issue on the NEC. While i believe the MOM or whatever it is will gain decent ridership, i think starting at this point and moving forward would be the best way to get things moving and if there is a major ridership in need of 8 car trains packed up to middletown, then options of running the same set all the way north could happen. The dual modes make a lot of this an easier thought too since there is only wire to red bank, then you would need diesel for the rest of the way. Dedicated diesel scoots with maybe the comet 3s refurbed would keep higher capacity more versitile equipment where it needs to be.
 #1467518  by R&DB

MOM's original concept was to relieve traffic congestion on the US-9 and possibly NJ-18 (to New Brunswick) corridors. Hence the original preferred routing through Monmouth Junction. The other routes via Red Bank or Matawan could relieve some congestion for riders with N. Jersey or NYC destinations. The Mon. Jct. route will most likely never be built do to NIMBY attitude in North Brunswick, Jamesburg and Manalapan. (The latter 2 don't even like the twice weekly 10 mph freight trains.) The route through Freehold to Matawan has the same NIMBY situation in Manalapan and Marlboro. So the only viable alignment is through Red Bank. This only relieves highway congestion from the lower part of US-9, but would still be beneficial to residents of northern Ocean and western Monmouth counties.

So here's another solution to US-9 traffic pollution:
Rebuild the CSao Southern Secondary to FRA Class 3 or 4 and add some passing sidings.
Build stations at necessary points.
Buy some FRA compliant DMUs.
Run trains Lakehurst to Red Bank.

Layover in RB in NJT MoW yard and in Lakehurst on the Navy spur. (add more spurs inside the base as necessary) The added maintenance costs of the DMUs could be offset by removal of some of the Lakewood - NYC buses.
Freehold - Red Bank service via Farmingdale could be added later further reducing US-9 traffic. The former PRR station in F'Hold is currently a NJT bus stationand is run by a private contractor. It could be re-furbished to a full NJT rail/bus station. Layover and room for another commuter park/ride facility could be created in the farmland just south of Iron Mountain (formerly Brockway Glass) on Business NJ-33. This would have much better highway access than Freehold Center. The rail turn-out for Brockway still exists, but could be made into a wye. DMUs from Freehold Center could stop at the park/ride, engineer changes end while loading and then continues on toward Red Bank. The biggest problem in downtown Freehold even before any rail service is parking. Build a parking garage with the borough sharing the cost.

North Jersey Coast line trains could have cars added on those trains that would interchange at Red Bank. No additional trains on the NEC or into NYP. The overnight layover yards at Lakehurst would only need cleaning, water, sewerage and minimal servicing capabilities. I don't know if NJT has fueling capability in RB, but that's easily fixed. DMUs could fuel up there while waiting for the next south (RR west) bound NJCL train. The only bottleneck I see is NYC/North Jersey bound passengers would have to get from the west platform to the east platform at Red Bank because the DMUs would only have access to the west platform. (due to track configuration) A covered pedestrian bridge or tunnel would be nice.

All of the above would be much lower cost to NJ taxpayers while gaining the highest possible ridership and improving the US-9 congestion. Also much more environmentally friendly. 1 single-level DMU car could take 100 cars or 2 buses off the road. Extending the southern terminus from Lakehurst to Toms River could gain even more ridership and reduce some GS Parkway commuter congestion. The whole project HAS TO BE time competitive with highway travel for commuters to use it at all. High running speeds and as few stops as possible would be necessary.
 #1467534  by mtuandrew

My impossible dream is rail in the US 9 median South Amboy-Freehold, along with triple track on the NJCL north of Amboy and a shuttle Perth Amboy-Jamesburg. If NJ can get its construction costs more in line with the national average, it would complement Gateway well.
 #1467561  by R&DB

mtuandrew » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:54 pm

My impossible dream is rail in the US 9 median South Amboy-Freehold,...
'Impossible dream' is absolutely right, LOL! :-D Great idea, but there is no median south of the US-9 / NJ-18 junction in Old Bridge. Moving hundreds of businesses and widening the highway to create a median would take the entire state treasury. Cheaper to buy out the NIMBYs and go via Jamesburg.
 #1467599  by lensovet

found this on my computer the other day…june 2000
Attachments:
mom_proposalmap.jpg
mom_proposalmap.jpg (355.56 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
 #1468998  by R&DB

Does anyone know if NJT researched extending service to Whiting during the original studies? If so, what did they find? Most of the population there would not be commuting but a shopping / show train migt gain some riders. One train a day leaving Whitiing 9-10 am would be sufficient. Terminate at Red Bank.