Railroad Forums 

• Silverliner Vs Out of Service - Schedule/Service Discussion

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1392547  by Steampowered

jmatchesky wrote:Don't blame you for not reading through the 16 page thread, but this has been discussed earlier (NJT trains continuing through Trenton to 30th St). We've now seen that Septa crews operating NJT equipment doesn't seem to be a problem. However, I can definitely see concern about this from NJT. A normal local from Trenton to 30th St is about 50 minutes, so you're adding almost 2 hours to the turn around for a NJT train at Trenton. NJT can't sacrifice it's ability to move its passengers into and out of NYC just to help Septa.

In the future , this should be a consideration For example septa ends 2 hrs earlier than NJT, on weekends , regular septa could shutdown and 2 late night trains. Also 2 to/from nyc trains a day. Because Amtrak intention prices this trip out for people in between.
 #1392583  by STrRedWolf

jmatchesky wrote:The standard damages under the warranty work out to about $720,000 per month ($200 * 120 cars * 30 days), so with septa set to lose $30,000 per month there will surely be court hearings for years to come

Also, Maryland has some greedy gups down there, huh?
When you got governors and a legislature who loves to steal money out of the transportation trust fund just to balance the budget for over 30 years, only to place a lock on it to refill it, then muck with transit again... yeah, it looks like being greedy, but when the budget gets cut hard every year, you take what you can get.

Oh hi! We're your neighbour on the other side of the Mason-Dixon line! You treating our MARC IIB's well? :wink:
 #1392630  by 34thStreet

Unfortunately the NHSL has not been too much help for people that might normally take the R6 or R5. Today I was on a train that was only one car instead of its usual 2, and it filled to crush pretty much by the time we hit Bryn Mawr. Bypassed maybe a hundred or so people between Ardmore and 69th, including shutting the doors right in peoples faces at Parkview after letting someone off there. Septa twitter people said it was only a 1 car train because of the "equipment shortage". Good time to be an uber driver....
 #1392640  by Silverliner II

STrRedWolf wrote: Oh hi! We're your neighbour on the other side of the Mason-Dixon line! You treating our MARC IIB's well? :wink:
We're treating them VERY well! So well that we haven't even run them yet!!
 #1392643  by jamesinclair

jmatchesky wrote:Don't blame you for not reading through the 16 page thread, but this has been discussed earlier (NJT trains continuing through Trenton to 30th St). We've now seen that Septa crews operating NJT equipment doesn't seem to be a problem. However, I can definitely see concern about this from NJT. A normal local from Trenton to 30th St is about 50 minutes, so you're adding almost 2 hours to the turn around for a NJT train at Trenton. NJT can't sacrifice it's ability to move its passengers into and out of NYC just to help Septa.
I believe some NJT train sets do only 2 round trips a day on the NEC from Jersey Ave to NYP.
 #1392657  by R3 Passenger

I rode the NJT set in this morning. The equipment looks like it has seen better days. I couldn't even read the number board on the ALP-46 until it was right in front of me! It was crewed by SEPTA staff with what looked like an NJT engineer (probably not right position, but he was not in SEPTA uniform or high-visibility vest and dressed in rather beat-up clothing) riding in the rear. SEPTA crew had trouble getting the doors working with constant shouts back to the NJT engineer. Train arrived about 25 minutes late.
 #1392662  by Silverliner II

Probably an NJT mechanical technician. They always send them along when Amtrak borrows the Arrows on the Sunday after Thanksgiving.
 #1392706  by MichaelBug

All of the outbound to Doylestown trips on the interim weekday timetable are originating in Swarthmore, which means in turn that the trains must wait for one or more connecting shuttle buses from Elwyn. I have noticed several instances in Trainview where the inbound departures from Swarthmore are leaving that station 10 to 20 minutes late - and thus cause the outbound departures to Doylestown to be even more tardy... Could that be due to late-running shuttle buses from Elwyn?

I wonder if it is worth it to hold the peak-hour trains (3526, 3528, 3530, 3532) in Swarthmore for likely a comparative handful of passengers from Elwyn, thus delaying a (later to be) full 6-car train of Lansdale-Doylestown riders in the process?
 #1392711  by braves

I read that the MBTA has retired some of the coaches, does anyone know or heard of SEPTA might get any of those retired MBTA coaches to be placed into service soon?