• Silverliner Vs Out of Service - Schedule/Service Discussion

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Silverliner II

Good luck leasing equipment from "across the country."

The only conventional equipment around anywhere outside of the Northeast Corridor zone would be Amtrak Horizon Fleet coaches. The spare Horizon set is currently residing in Oakland, CA. All other Horizon sets work the Amtrak short-hauls out of Chicago.

Everybody else operates gallery cars or bilevels (plus the UTA has some ex-NJT Comet I "sliders"). All of the above only have low-platform boarding capability, and except for the sliders, all of the above won't clear anything north of Union Station, Washington, DC. Even the AMT Bombardier "Comet-type" coaches are for low platform boarding only. There really are very few options here.

Whether repair (not looking likely) or replacement (looking more likely) for the trucks, this is going to be a long-term situation for sure. I'll be surprised if we are back to normal by November.

And folks... the contract for SEPTA TWU and UTU transit drivers, mechanics, etc.... expires in November. Just had to mention that. If Regional Rail is not back to normal by then...
  by STrRedWolf

chuchubob wrote:Amtrak ACS-64 with MARC coaches at Penn Coach Yard Sunday afternoon
MARC 7791... huh, a MARC IIB, with the 3-2 seat arrangement. Anyone catch the other coach/cab car numbers? I figured an ACS-64 would push/pull this set.

That said, I'm not sure how much more MARC/MTA Maryland can lease out. I think most of the IIA's are gone since they're running as many bi-levels as they can -- the four left are converted to bike cars.
  by scotty269

http://www.septa.org/service/contingency.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Changes for Updated Interim Weekday Schedules

Lansdale/Doylestown Line:
Train 3550 number changed to 7550
Train 7550 timing added +2 minutes

Trenton Line:
Train 9761 to Holmesburg time changed -5 minutes

West Trenton Line:
Train 6348 timing added -3 minutes to get ahead of WAR train

Manayunk/Norristown Line:
Train 6250 added early am service outbound
Train 2307 to start from NTC (no longer from Elm Street)
7250 train number changed 3250
University City added to 3250
Times adjusted 30th Street to Elm Street on 3250 +6
8234 time added for later last pm outbound

Paoli/Thorndale Line:
1512 + 7 minutes from Thorndale (Amtrak timing)
1516 + 7 minutes from Thorndale (Amtrak timing)
9518 + 7 minutes from Paoli (to follow 1516)
9577 removed (late night)
9572 removed (late night)

Media/Elwyn Line:
9357 extended to Swarthmore (from Secane)
Bus times added to meet 9357 at Swarthmore
Bus times added to meet 7363 at Secane
Note added about 7363 being met by a bus

Wilmington/Newark Line:
227 extended to Wilmington (from Marcus Hook)
231 extended to Wilmington (from Marcus Hook)
235 extended to Wilmington (from Marcus Hook)
228 starts at Wilmington (from Marcus Hook)
232 starts at Wilmington (from Marcus Hook)
9236 starts at Wilmington (from Marcus Hook)
9236 timing adjusted +30 minutes the whole train
1212 added stops at Norwood and Ridley Park
1297 added stops at Norwood and Ridley Park
1297 times adjusted +1 minute Chester, Marcus Hook, Claymont, Wilmington, Churchman's Crossing, Newark
(Incorrect) Destination Code removed from 9236
9203 train number changed to 8203

Chestnut Hill West:
Train 1810 added early am service inbound
8234 time added for later last inbound

Fox Chase Line:
Train 8203 added early am service inbound
  by STrRedWolf

chuchubob wrote:The MARC cars are 7791, 7721, 7731, 7729, and 7754.
All MARC IIB cars. Huh, I guess MTA Maryland scrapped all the IIA's.
twropr wrote:Good thing SEPTA leased tested that Amtrak ACS-64 a few months ago. Foresight?
Andy
I think Amtrak did some testing in the areas, basically up and down the NEC and the Keystone areas. Probably the same sort of testing that they're doing for the MARC IV cars from Bombardier. I won't be surprised if the Siemens Chargers will go through the same testing in Philadelphia... but then I'm going off main topic here.
  by Silverliner II

danquagl wrote:Does the TWU and UTU include conductors too?
No, but in the event of a transit strike in November... Regional Rail at half mast is only going to add to the agony.
  by scotty269

zebrasepta wrote:
scotty269 wrote:http://www.septa.org/service/contingency.html

Lansdale/Doylestown passengers are still getting the short end of the stick
It won't let me post inline, but check this out (from reddit)
http://i.imgur.com/F8g5zuD.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Silverliner II

STrRedWolf wrote:MARC 7791... huh, a MARC IIB, with the 3-2 seat arrangement. Anyone catch the other coach/cab car numbers? I figured an ACS-64 would push/pull this set.

That said, I'm not sure how much more MARC/MTA Maryland can lease out. I think most of the IIA's are gone since they're running as many bi-levels as they can -- the four left are converted to bike cars.
All the MARC Sumitomo coaches have the 3-2 seating arrangement. 7791 is a restroom-equipped trailer, along with the cab car. Of course, they will likely be locked while in SEPTA service.

By the way, regarding the interim schedule for the Manayunk-Norristown Line, I would love to know how train 6297 gets around train 207 between Allegheny and North Broad... when there is no way to do so...
  by jmatchesky

This is another opportunity missed by SEPTA to improve the modified Manayunk/Norristown line schedule.

They have 3 morning trains scheduled into Suburban between 8:31 and 8:46, including two short runs from Miquon running 15 minutes apart, but the next earlier option gets in at 7:34.

Why couldn't they move one of the short trips up and have it into the city around 8:00?
  by danquagl

Silverliner II wrote:
danquagl wrote:Does the TWU and UTU include conductors too?
No, but in the event of a transit strike in November... Regional Rail at half mast is only going to add to the agony.

Oh that makes sense, thanks
  by zebrasepta

scotty269 wrote:
zebrasepta wrote:
scotty269 wrote:http://www.septa.org/service/contingency.html

Lansdale/Doylestown passengers are still getting the short end of the stick
It won't let me post inline, but check this out (from reddit)
http://i.imgur.com/F8g5zuD.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I still don't understand why they're still running both CH lines and instead of cancelling service on one of them and this is one of the reasons why some people call SEPTA as INEPTA...