• Silverliner Vs Out of Service - Schedule/Service Discussion

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Silverliner II

JoeRailRoad wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:
bikentransit wrote:How will SEPTA be qualifying crews to run foreign equipment by Monday?
I think they will not run SEPTA crews in those cars. The Amfleet and MARC equipment will be run by Amtrak crews, because they are qualified for it (MARC is qualified on the NEC). NJT equipment will run with NJT crews (also NEC qualified).

We won't know for sure until we see the schedules.
Cant be done as there will be conflict between the SEPTA, MARC, Amtrak & NJTRO unions.

Also the foreign RR cews are not qualified on SEPTA's lines of railroad.

Joe
SEPTA crews will get qualified on the equipment. It's either that or foreign crews qualify SEPTA from Kay to Roberts Yard. And in all reality... foreign crews will not work the trips since their railroads will need them working their own jobs.

Based on the updated schedules now out, I am willing to guess that the Keystone set will be on the following Bryn Mawr trains: 1580, 1581, 1582, and 1583, plus their applicable deadheads. The MARC or NJT set, possibly on these Trenton Line trains: 1763 and 1794. Reasoning behind the guess is that all of those trains originate/terminate at Suburban Station, while all other trains continue through Jefferson and onward to Roberts. Whichever the odd set out is, will likely spend the day at Roberts Yard, with its assignment to whichever Trenton Line train.

Nothing is scheduled to operate into 30th Street Lower Level.
  by Broadway

For the people asking where the V's are stored I can tell you that there are 50 at Powelton Yard, the most stored in one place. There are 9 on 0 track at Suburban Station. Also know they broke apart the gel trains at Wayne Electric Shop to store cars there, don't know how many.
  by Bill R.

Silverliner II wrote:
Based on the updated schedules now out, I am willing to guess that the Keystone set will be on the following Bryn Mawr trains: 1580, 1581, 1582, and 1583, plus their applicable deadheads. The MARC or NJT set, possibly on these Trenton Line trains: 1763 and 1794. Reasoning behind the guess is that all of those trains originate/terminate at Suburban Station, while all other trains continue through Jefferson and onward to Roberts. Whichever the odd set out is, will likely spend the day at Roberts Yard, with its assignment to whichever Trenton Line train.

Nothing is scheduled to operate into 30th Street Lower Level.
Does anyone know why the Amtrak P-P set is being assigned to Bryn Mawr short turns? With longer distances between stations (more conducive to P-P operations) at the west end of the line, and higher comfort levels, the Amtrak set seems like a better fit for an express originating from Thorndale.
  by Silverliner II

Bill R. wrote:Does anyone know why the Amtrak P-P set is being assigned to Bryn Mawr short turns? With longer distances between stations (more conducive to P-P operations) at the west end of the line, and higher comfort levels, the Amtrak set seems like a better fit for an express originating from Thorndale.
SEPTA is trying to get more service for the inner stations for people who are more likely to get passed up, and this way, they can use the Amtrak set for more trips than they would if they had to deadhead all the way to Thorndale from 30th Street.

By the way, I observed the NJT set at Torresdale on train 1794 this morning, about 15 minutes late, with a SEPTA crew operating the equipment.
As of 6:20 this morning, the MARC set was still parked at Penn Coach Yard at 30th Street.
  by stephenjohnson10

jmatchesky wrote:This is another opportunity missed by SEPTA to improve the modified Manayunk/Norristown line schedule.

They have 3 morning trains scheduled into Suburban between 8:31 and 8:46, including two short runs from Miquon running 15 minutes apart, but the next earlier option gets in at 7:34.

Why couldn't they move one of the short trips up and have it into the city around 8:00?

I think they should start and end trains on the Norristown line at Conshohocken, forcing commuters to take the NHSL that would usually board in Norristown. This would free up a lot of seats and increase turnaround time on the trains using the line as well. You could single track between Miquon and Conshohocken.
  by JeffersonLeeEng

jmatchesky wrote:This is another opportunity missed by SEPTA to improve the modified Manayunk/Norristown line schedule.

They have 3 morning trains scheduled into Suburban between 8:31 and 8:46, including two short runs from Miquon running 15 minutes apart, but the next earlier option gets in at 7:34.

Why couldn't they move one of the short trips up and have it into the city around 8:00?
Also, why is there a limited run train #6250 leaving 30th Street at 4:45am which only goes to NTC to become the #2307 local (sans Elm Street and Main Street) coming back?

There never was such an early run train in revenue service going into Norristown on the regular schedule and the #2307 bilks out those that usually take that early run from Elm Street.

Bad form, I'd say...
  by Silverliner II

JeffersonLeeEng wrote:

Also, why is there a limited run train #6250 leaving 30th Street at 4:45am which only goes to NTC to become the #2307 local (sans Elm Street and Main Street) coming back?

There never was such an early run train in revenue service going into Norristown on the regular schedule and the #2307 bilks out those that usually take that early run from Elm Street.

Bad form, I'd say...
Not enough equipment at Elm Street to cover 2307 after the rest of the stuff overnighting up there is set up for the rest of the AM peak trips, I would gather. And it can't get into Elm Street, thanks to the equipment parked on the platform overnight.
  by khecht

Broadway wrote:For the people asking where the V's are stored I can tell you that there are 50 at Powelton Yard, the most stored in one place. There are 9 on 0 track at Suburban Station. Also know they broke apart the gel trains at Wayne Electric Shop to store cars there, don't know how many.
They seem to be moving some around. Came in from the airport this morning and roughly 8 SLVs were deadheading through 30th eastbound. Sure was strange to see a NJT set pulling out of the 20th St portal west, pushed by ALP46 4627.
  by EDM5970

I'm wondering if this would be a good time to look at extending service from NY Penn to 30th Street, using NJT equipment with a change to a SEPTA crew at Trenton? The freight railroads use run-through power with crew changes, it should work here. Perhaps even NY Penn, Trenton, 30th St and on to Newark, all on the corridor. NJT's MLs should not have any clearance issues on the NEC, although I'm not sure about the tunnels. Just a thought that I don't think I've seen here before, and would free up lots of MUs for other assignments.
  by danquagl

Silverliner II wrote:
JeffersonLeeEng wrote:

Bad form, I'd say...
Not enough equipment at Elm Street to cover 2307 after the rest of the stuff overnighting up there is set up for the rest of the AM peak trips, I would gather. And it can't get into Elm Street, thanks to the equipment parked on the platform overnight.
Judging by the number, 2307 must deadhead to Secane or Swarthmore.

With the line past Swarthmore out of service, are they deadheading equipment back and forth from the city instead of Media Yard?
  by jmatchesky

Don't blame you for not reading through the 16 page thread, but this has been discussed earlier (NJT trains continuing through Trenton to 30th St). We've now seen that Septa crews operating NJT equipment doesn't seem to be a problem. However, I can definitely see concern about this from NJT. A normal local from Trenton to 30th St is about 50 minutes, so you're adding almost 2 hours to the turn around for a NJT train at Trenton. NJT can't sacrifice it's ability to move its passengers into and out of NYC just to help Septa.
  by Silverliner II

danquagl wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:
JeffersonLeeEng wrote:

Bad form, I'd say...
Judging by the number, 2307 must deadhead to Secane or Swarthmore.

With the line past Swarthmore out of service, are they deadheading equipment back and forth from the city instead of Media Yard?
Yes. Crum Creek bridge is out, so Media Yard is isolated from the rest of the system. I'm sure all the equipment was moved out of there before the shutdown.