• NJT Emergency Equipement Storage

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, nick11a, Kaback9

by pumpers

I don't know exactly how much got done in Dec 2019 (see the previous post, 2 -1/2 years ago), but now it sounds like things might really get going:
https://www.nj.com/news/2022/04/almost- ... rains.html
Fair use quote: "A $183 million Federal Transit Administration grant would build a service and inspection building and five new tracks at County Yard in New Brunswick, to hold 144 rail cars and locomotives, NJ Transit officials said. The state would provide $60 million in matching funds.
The state would pay the entire $125 million to build a second five-mile track next to the Delco lead, an industrial track in North Brunswick along to the Northeast Corridor line, to store 288 trains on during a storm."

Perhaps they mean 288 cars, not 288 trains.

Jim S
  by lensovet

Looks like that initial work was mostly clearing and demolition. This one isn't much more, but maybe they finally got the funding lined up? The article mentions that NJT didn't get a final judgement on their insurance payments from Sandy until 2021. That's a long time to be fighting for reimbursement. I have to wonder, too, how much less that money is worth now due to inflation.

Worth noting also that the original plans called for 400+ rail cars, so 288 is quite a bit of a downsize.
  by pumpers

The way I read it is 288 cars on the Delco lead, and 144 more at County Yard, so then you are back to ~430.
Maybe 5 more years and then we'll find out.

I am always amazed at construction costs in NJ, but $5M/mile for a siding ($25 M for 5 miles) still surprises me.

If anyone has seen any concrete plans or diagrams, please post a link.
  by lensovet

You missed a 1. It’s 125 for five miles, so 25/mile? Though a 5-mile track seems insanely long no? Do they mean five 1-mile tracks?

That said, they are going to be stringing new catenary including supports so I guess that’s not cheap especially with the price of copper these days.