Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by dukeoq

LIRailfan79 wrote:I just wish when they would print a timetable that there wouldn't be so many mistakes, i spent my lunch hour today making all the ink changes required by General Notice 2-42, Paragraph A.
Who says they don't still do things according to tradition? :wink:

by Long Island 7285

I must say after seeing this new thing called an ETT, for god sakes you spend countless millions on 3000+binders and cut down all thoes trees for a mega load of a TT when you don't even make the dam text one font sise larger? jeese thats really goddam sad! with that being the case it appears that technology, the reason for this monstrosity ETT actually took 2 steps backwards. sad real sad. What the hell is becomeing of this place, technology is kelling us along with the imcpmpitance, costomers do any of you see this in your commute?

by LIRR272

This appears as a hot topic. I had no idea it would produce such comments (which are very good and informative). For those who value your old timetable, make sure you keep it. As long as I'm employed there I'll keep my old book since its part of the tradition of the railroad.

Let me guess, the IS department was responsible for the software upgrade!! Thats another way for them to control all the software and computers through out the railroad. If a change needs to be made you have to go through them. It appears Transportation fell victim to this just like all the other departments. You lose control of what benefits your department, but not another department because they may have no use for it. Could be why those in Transportation didn't know what was going on. Another reason is depending on how long they have been on the railroad, someone may see them as a distraction or "throw back" and may not want to deal with them. So to avoid that, they go around them and say that they want "fresh & new ideas". Well you know the rest.

I do think its weird to see this big book in the windshield of a MU. Its so obvious, unlike the old timetable. I'm quite sure there will be a new Book of Rules and THEM coming.

by Sean 418

My question with the timetable is does anyone in mangement proof read their work? When the timetable was first issued, there was a GLARING error with the Rules in Effect page. So much so that the railroad could have come to a complete halt at 12:01 AM on the Monday March 6, 2006 .Could anyone who works in transportation leave a terminal when they have no rules in effect?
Also, some of the changes with the crew book have been perplexing to me but I will not go into that.

by Form 19

This might sound silly, but if they did not print a revision to correct the mistake, you would probably need a Train Order.

They did have rules in effect, the Train rules. What was not in effect were the Block and Signal rules. The Train rules are always in effect on main track and are the basic rules. Train rules set superiority, representation, flagging, time zone, how long to be on the main and a host of other basic functions. They use the Special Instructions to implement where necessary, Signal and Block rules to supercede or coincide with the Train rules where applicable.

They could run, but it would be like it was in the late 19th Century and I would think most are not acclamated to that kind of environment. The single track territory is a perfect environment for operating under Train rules only. If the crews really knew their stuff, you would even notice the Block and Signal rules were not in effect.