• MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Herring

LIRR Double Track Project: New Track Construction Machine

Published on Aug 22, 2016
The New Track Construction (NTC) machine makes its MTA debut on Long Island Railroad's Double Track project. Phase I of the Double Track project adds 3.5 miles of track between Central Islip and Ronkonkoma, and new track construction of this segment will be complete as early as today. For more information: http://web.mta.info/lirr/doubletrack/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by MattAmity90

I'm thinking of this project the same as a station platform rehabilitation. As soon as phase 1 is complete that goes into service, then phase 2 starts and so on.

Is that the way it's going to be? Also are they anticipating that Phase 1 will be complete by the beginning of 2017?

Phase 1 complete and in service means it is double tracked from Ronkonkoma to Deer Park, single tracked West of Deer Park to East of Farmingdale, then double tracked (as always has).
  by Backshophoss

The NTC didn't put down Bracket Ties for the 3rd rail brackets,they will have to swap out some of the ties for bracket ties. :(
  by MattAmity90

For all we know they could be doing that right now. Right now the thing that is most important is that the second track has been laid, and the components are next.
  by EuroStar

Backshophoss wrote:The NTC didn't put down Bracket Ties for the 3rd rail brackets,they will have to swap out some of the ties for bracket ties. :(
I though I had seen somewhere a mounting system for the third rail that did not require special ties -- a metal piece was added to extend the tie and the third rail mounting hardware is attached to that metal piece. Isn't that how it is done in other areas with concrete ties? I do not recall ever seeing longer concrete ties for third rail.
  by berlintransit

MattAmity90 wrote:
[...] are they anticipating that Phase 1 will be complete by the beginning of 2017?
Phase 1 complete and in service means it is double tracked from Ronkonkoma to Deer Park, single tracked West of Deer Park to East of Farmingdale, then double tracked (as always has).
No, Phase 1 only adds the second track between west of Ronkonkoma and west of Central Islip, where a future permanent interlocking with two crossovers will be located. Then follows a single track stretch to Brentwood that will not be eliminated before the next construction phase.
Also, the contract for a signalling system for all the interlockings has only just been awarded; I would expect this to take some time until everything is ready.
  by MattAmity90

Actually, they don't need to swap out concrete ties, I looked at photos of the tracks at Woodside, and all stations in electrified territory that have concrete ties and what they have is a metal plate that is bolted to whatever side they want and it levels off with the ballast. The insulators are placed on top and so is the third rail and covering.
  by DaveBarraza

EuroStar wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:The NTC didn't put down Bracket Ties for the 3rd rail brackets,they will have to swap out some of the ties for bracket ties. :(
I though I had seen somewhere a mounting system for the third rail that did not require special ties -- a metal piece was added to extend the tie and the third rail mounting hardware is attached to that metal piece. Isn't that how it is done in other areas with concrete ties? I do not recall ever seeing longer concrete ties for third rail.
Yeah the concrete ties only come in one size. They have some holes made into them for adding any extra widgets - like support brackets for the contact rail chairs.
  by Backshophoss

The NYC standard was an longer tie every x ties for the 3rd rail bracket to be mounted on.(wood ties)
LIRR followed a standard of a "bracket tie" evey x ties in their 3rd territory as well(wood ties)
  by MACTRAXX

BSH: LIRR Third Rail extra length ties were every 5th wood tie on average - with four standard length ties in between.

MA90 is right about bracket plates being installed on concrete ties to support third rail insulators.
Every concrete tie laid in electrified territory has two mounting holes on each side as a prevision for bracket plates to be attached...

MACTRAXX
  by Backshophoss

Considering the somewhat "checkered past" of concrete ties on UP and the NEC(manufacture's defects),
as long as the mounting hardware holds up,all's good for now.
Heck,MN has had to go the wood tie route in spots where concrete has "crapped out" :wink:
  by MattAmity90

2cegya.jpg
Here's why they only have to add a metal plate to the concrete ties. This was taken I think at Kew Gardens.
  by EuroStar

Backshophoss wrote:Considering the somewhat "checkered past" of concrete ties on UP and the NEC(manufacture's defects),
as long as the mounting hardware holds up,all's good for now.
Heck,MN has had to go the wood tie route in spots where concrete has "crapped out" :wink:
Metro-North made a mistake when they installed concrete ties in areas with bad drainage. Concrete does not like freeze and thaw cycles. They were/are replacing concrete ties in those areas with wood, however in areas with good drainage concrete ties do fine and outlast wood ties. The bad ties on the NEC were due to bad concrete. Rocla (the manufacturer) went bankrupt because of that. Properly made concrete ties do fine. In Europe they even use concrete poles for catenary and power distribution.