• MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MattAmity90

Is Straight Path now a 2-track crossing?
  by MattAmity90

After looking through my Flickr account at the people I follow, one of the guys I follow took several photos of the ROW on the Ronkonkoma Branch after the second track was laid. Here's what is happening now:

1.) Ballast is now being poured to cover the ties.
2.) The rest of the trees and brush have been cleared in between Central Islip and Brentwood leading into Brentwood station. Shouldn't be an issue to lay the track.
3.) Work is continuing on clearing foliage leading into the old Deer Park station.
4.) Wyandanch now has a clear path in the vicinity of the station.
5.) Brush and foliage is being cleared in between Wyandanch to Pinelawn.
6.) Finally, they have erected a safety fence in between Long Island Avenue and the track in between Pinelawn station to the Little East Neck Road crossing, with of course people telling me that they are grading the Earth. The fence is erected in between the LI Avenue and the power lines.
7.) The section from Wellwood Avenue to where the East end of FARM Interlocking has yet to see any evidence.
  by MACTRAXX

LB wrote:When do they plan to begin operation of the Ronkonkoma to Central Islip section? Is it being held up until the entire Farmingdale to Ronkonkoma job is complete?
LB: At this time (10/2016) the Ronkonkoma-Central Islip track segment has no third rail yet installed as of now.

I believe that the idea is to place this second track in service as soon as any additional track and grade crossing work is complete.

MACTRAXX
  by MattAmity90

So what you are saying is that as soon as the second track track between Ronkonkoma and Central Islip is complete (both crossings are now two track) that will immediately go into service, while the rest of the project from West of Central Islip to Farmingdale continues?
  by LB

I always thought the plan was to begin operations when Phase 1 (RONK to CI) was complete, while work continued to progress on Phase 2 (CI to FARM). It was the RONK to CI section that was identified as the most critical bottle neck on the segment, therefore the first portion to be constructed.
  by SwingMan

There still is at least one major switch reconstruction project needed, including getting all the circuits set-up and tested. Still a ways away.
  by MACTRAXX

SwingMan wrote:There still is at least one major switch reconstruction project needed, including getting all the circuits set-up and tested. Still a ways away.
SM: Thanks for this message - I figured there was more to be still accomplished then just installing third rail - switch and electrical work are still needed before this
roughly 4 1/2 mile segment (from about MP 48 W to about 43.5 at CI1) goes into service.

I was in CI today and noticed that there are 4 concrete tied track panels at the Peters Blvd. crossing for the second track to be installed. There is now brush and tree
cutting becoming noticeable between Islip Avenue and Brentwood - and the third rails stacked and ready at the CI team yard at Islip Avenue are still there.

MACTRAXX
  by MattAmity90

No, but they will have to give amp up the substations to accommodate more power.
  by tj48

Two crews working today on the south side of the grade between Wyandanch and the Deer Park Ave overpass.
One crew was using a wheeled backhoe and tracked skid steer clearing additional brush and the remnants of the original fencing. The second crew was using a larger tracked backhoe driving steel I-beams into the ground about half way up the grade.
  by tj48

Work crews have begun installing footings and retaining wall on the grade between Wyandanch and the Deer Park Ave overpass. They are working on the segment between the pedestrian overpass and the pedestrian underpass on the south side of Long Island Ave. The retaining wall are precast sections with a block face on the front.
The new 2nd track ROW between Little East Neck Road crossing and 18th street crossing could look close to being finished. The area just west of 18th street where the land dipped down has been filled in and graded. It would appear that to get the new ROW up to Straight Path the single row parking lot between 18th street and Straight Path will have to be demolished.
  by MattAmity90

ci.jpg
I'm pretty sure everyone here knows that last night we had a car get hit at the Carleton Avenue grade crossing to the West of Central Islip. Took a look at photos and it shows that the car landed on the new track laid. I just hope it didn't damage the ties too badly because it's not covered with ballast.

Train was the 4:12 PM from Penn Station, scheduled to arrive at Ronkonkoma at 5:42 PM when it hit the vehicle at 5:30 PM.
  by MattAmity90

Crabman1130 wrote:That's what you're concerned with, what about the occupant of the car?
Of course I care about the occupants, there were four in the car, but got out safely. The only thing I don't like is that once again we discovered another driver who decides to put people at risk of getting killed by doing such an idiotic thing even though Carlton Avenue is one of the most hazardous on the island, especially now that it is a 2-track crossing.