Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#158406  by AMTK84

While 411 is having some problems, here is yet another example that our F40PH's are getting more tired out, this from a friend at UP:

I've noticed that METX159 has been spending a lot of time at the shops at M19A. It came in early June then spent the better part of the month shopped at M19A, ran after the 4th of July with 155 then got placed at M19A again for a week, ran, rotated in and out from M19A and has been placed there since 8/8/05; it was released on 8/19/05.
Last edited by AMTK84 on Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#158567  by F40CFan

AMTK84 wrote:here is yet another example that our F40PH's are getting more tired out,
GREAT!!! Now we'll have no reliable locomotives for the winter. We'll have to borrow Santa's reindeer to haul the trains.

#158613  by AMTK84

Well, my point has been made.

#158643  by AmtrakFan

F40CFan wrote:
AMTK84 wrote:here is yet another example that our F40PH's are getting more tired out,
GREAT!!! Now we'll have no reliable locomotives for the winter. We'll have to borrow Santa's reindeer to haul the trains.
No we'll borrow Amtrak P40's. Sitting in Wilmington, DE.

#158668  by metraRI

I don't see Metra ever getting to the point where they need to barrow locomotives. It shouldn't be too much longer before F40PH replacements start to become an issue.

#158669  by F40CFan

That's even scarier. What kind of junk will they pick up this time.

#158678  by metraRI

I don't know what else Metra has a choice of besides MP36's and those Alstom NJT things...PL42AC's, which I don't really like. Even though I like the MP36's, I don't want Metra to get them again. I get tired of seeing an F40 on every UP train that runs...I like a variety.

#158737  by AmtrakFan

metraRI wrote:I don't know what else Metra has a choice of besides MP36's and those Alstom NJT things...PL42AC's, which I don't really like. Even though I like the MP36's, I don't want Metra to get them again. I get tired of seeing an F40 on every UP train that runs...I like a variety.
GE is suppose to have a new Passenger Unit by 2007.

#158744  by doepack

metraRI wrote:I don't know what else Metra has a choice of besides MP36's and those Alstom NJT things...PL42AC's, which I don't really like. Even though I like the MP36's, I don't want Metra to get them again. I get tired of seeing an F40 on every UP train that runs...I like a variety.
Believe me, I know how you feel. Even though UP has plenty of freight traffic to break up the otherwise dull sameness of Metra's F40's, I've still found myself driving over to the BNSF at Lisle or Naperville lately, at least there's more Metra variety there.

As for potential F40PH replacements, looks like we'll have to wait and see. I don't know whether or not the new EMD spin-off will re-enter the passenger locomotive business, but if they choose not to, then it's most likely new power will either have to come from Alstom, MPI, or GE. I could be wrong, but I don't see Metra going the GE route...

#158748  by MetraRy

tell me about it. i miss living by the BN and watching the Metra action. Everthing about the UPW Metra's are dull. theres not even a good varity of coach cars anymore. I find it more fun just to go to bensenville to see a more exciting metra line up.

#158922  by AMTK84

411 and 123 were replaced by 102 and 109 respectively. Maybe it finally went solo?

#159080  by MetraF40C607

Good lord, no P42s. No thank you. If we need an engine for the MILW lines, I see Metra going too the IRM for BN3 (which has HEP now) as a helper before they went too Amtrak for ANY GE. Remember, Metra tested the P42. The didn't like it. Why? Loaded WAY too slow and I think it also took longer to get the train stopped. Let me put it this way. GE will NEVER be able to produce a locomotive for a cause like Metra where there are frequent stops. BTW, for the record, and you can quote me on this. I would MUCH rather see an MP36 than ever seeing a PL42AC.

#159097  by AmtrakFan

MetraF40C607 wrote:Speaking of Western Ave. not being all there, was it their idea on which F40Cs to retire at the MP36s came? Cause if it was, they really weren't thinking. Why you may ask? 607 was the first too be killed. It was the best out of all of them (not only my personal opinion, but that of engineers). The crap that goes on up there is unreal. Bones has the idea down for a roster, but Metra never would listen to their employees anyway, so forget that. My preference? For all of you MP36 loves, take em on the RI and BNSF. We don't want them, you may take them. The system is so messed over, all you can do is sit here and wonder to yourself, why do these people do this!?!?! But anywho, ya, that's my rant. Please, feel free to question me or Bones on this matter. We share the same opinions.
Mr. Means,
The RI and the MILW can have them we don't need anymore MP36er's. I saw all of then in a row on one train Thursday.

#159098  by AmtrakFan

MetraF40C607 wrote:Ha ha, that's funny. MPI........................................Ugggggggghhhhhh.
MPI takes forever to build decent stuff they have taken 6 Months to get 1 Amtrak unit fixed and it's still there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!