• Monmouth Park Siding Being removed?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Eric Kreszl

Hello Everyone,

I was in Oceanport today taking photos and I walked the entire Racetrack siding from Bridgewaters Drive to Port-AU-Peck Ave and as I got to the racetrack property I realized that where the old train station area was THE TRACKS ARE GONE! :( There is also a derail put in place at the switch on the NJCL Does this mean the end of NJ Transit Rail Service to the racktrack via the siding in favor of the main NJCL Station. Could they be getting ready to remove the siding for good?

Here are some photos I took today of the siding.

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net ... ?id=673948

Enjoy,

Eric

by Jtgshu

the derail has always been there (unless they added another one - i doubt that) by the switch by Bridgewater Ave or Road, whatever it is. I don't believe the tracks are removed over there by the grandstand, but rather just covered up. I saw that a few months ago. they did however, remove the crossbucks and RXR signs from Port au Peck Ave.

According to NJT, the entire siding (actually called the Monmouth Running Track) is still in service, and all the rules pertaining to it are still in effect.

by acelaman

Back when I was a kid, ( early 60's) the trains did in fact cross the roadway and into the area by the grandstand. I think the Pony Express only make it as far as the parking area immediately after leaving the NJCL. I could be wrong but I think thats how it happens now.

by NY&LB

The Pony always crossed the road. There were, at one time, 4 "platform" tracks at the grandstands, that was cut back to one shortened track. After discharging passengers, the train would pull out into "the parking lot" area and pull back in to re-board passengers for the return trip. I suspect they did not like the noise from the engine in the "picnic" area. As Jt noted, the tracks were "buried" at the grandstand.

by acelaman

The photo that Eric posted shows that the track leading into the grandstand area looks like it has been paved over for a LONG time. Not trying to start an argument but I could swear I have seen passengers getting off the train on the other side of the road and walking into the racetrack. Thought it had something to do with the Sports and Exposition Authority not wanting to "pony" up the monies to rebuild or upgrade to rails inside the gates. Or maybe it was an insurance issue......?

by Eric Kreszl

acelaman wrote:The photo that Eric posted shows that the track leading into the grandstand area looks like it has been paved over for a LONG time. Not trying to start an argument but I could swear I have seen passengers getting off the train on the other side of the road and walking into the racetrack. Thought it had something to do with the Sports and Exposition Authority not wanting to "pony" up the monies to rebuild or upgrade to rails inside the gates. Or maybe it was an insurance issue......?

I have a photo of the siding that I took on August 4th of 2006.

Here is that photo

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net ... ?id=616538

Eric

by Jtgshu

the Pony Express ran up into the grandstand until the end of the 2005 season - I don't believe it ran at all this year, although I was told it did make one or two trips, but i think the fella telling me might have gotten the years confused.

but anyway, it did run all the way up to the grandstand, dropped the passengers off, then reversed back across port au peck, way in the back by the field and then the crew had to shut off the HEP. About 30 minutes before the last race, the crew would go out and crank up the HEP to cool off the cars, and then reverse back to the bumping block to pick up the passengers. IIRC, between the road and bumping block, it holds 5 cars and an engine, which is what the train usually was.

by Tri-State Tom

Eric -

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net ... ?id=673920

If I'm oriented correctly in this shot, you're looking toward the racetrack here with Bridgewater Dr. just behind you, correct ?

If so, about 100 feet west of this switch was another switch off the track on the right to the wye that once existed here to turn steam engines that had brought trains to the racetrack.

I haven't been down there in like 25 years but wondering if you spotted any remaining relics/remains of this old wye track as you walked the area.

thanks.

by Jtgshu

Tom, you are correct - thats the remnants of a runaround there, and seen from the Bridgewater Xing, and before that, also connected to the wye - looking at google earth, they wye is very easily seen, and I haven't been down there in a few years myself to check it out. The switch on the west end of the runaround was taken out a few years back, id guess when they started to use push/pull trains into the racetrack, and it wasnt' necessary to run the loco around the train. (mid 80's or so)

by PVRX1

as of 01-06-07.................

Monmouth Running Track runs from Switch at NC mp 20 & Grandstand
5mph speed limit

"The Monmouth Running Track holds 5 cars and an engine west of Port Au Peck Avenue. After discharging passengers at the Monmouth Park Grandstand, the Engineer will move the train east of Port Au Peck Avenue, place the engine on low idle and shut down the Head End Power."

"The Engineer will start Head end Power and move the train to the grandstand at the end of the last race, including a simulcast race."

by Eric Kreszl

I can't seem to find the wye on the map?

Can anyone Help???

Eric

by Diamond_D7

Eric Kreszl wrote:I can't seem to find the wye on the map?

Can anyone Help???

Eric
It's fairly evident on google maps, but much harder to find on the more recent pics on local.live.com

by Tri-State Tom

Eric -

Using Google, you can still see the outline of the wye ( in the woods ) off that former runaround track. The north leg appears more intack than the south one.

BTW, given that the steam era on the CNJ ended around 1956-57, I'm amazed Mother Nature hasn't yet obliterated what was once in place there.

PVRX & All -

Your post and the rather unmaintained and rusty look of the racetrack siding in Eric's great photos, begs a question or two....

1) Did NJT run some Pony Express trains last Summer ? If not, when did it last do so ?

2) Was there ever a CNJ Tower here controlling moves in and out of the siding(s) to/from the mains ?

3) Is there now or was there ever a crossover here between main tracks 1&2 ?

4) Is the current switch to this siding manually or remotely operated ?

thanks.

by NY&LB

To answer #2 and 3 see this link http://raildata.railfan.net/cnj/homecnj.html

Look at the NY&LB track maps milepost 10-20 and you will see the crossover and the interlocking that was there, look at the 20-30 maps and you will see the 4 track stub end terminal,run around track and wye. The interlocking was only open when there were race track trains running, I remember taking pictures there back in the day and having the interlocking operator show me how everything worked, there were smashboards on the signal posts for the oceanport draw as well.
  by clamdigger

I have Monmouth Park race programs for the 2004 and 2006 seasons.In the 2004 programs,NJT advertises the "Pony Express",a special racetrack train which which ran from Hoboken to Monmouth Park using the racetrack spur and discharging its passengers inside the race track.In the 2006 prorams,NJT advertises "More North JerseyCoast Line Service To Monmouth Park Racetrack",no more "Pony Express".I photo'd NJT F40PH-2cat#412 inside the racetrack in July 2004 bot I don't recall seeing any NJT trains inside the park in 2005.I know NJT did not run any trains to the Park last year.In another few weeks the 2007 racing season begins at Monmouth and we'll all know by then whether or not the siding has been removed.
VJH