• Monmouth Park Siding Being removed?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by clamdigger

Correct my previous post ;The engine was #4122.Thanks,
VJH

by blockline4180

In another few weeks the 2007 racing season begins at Monmouth and we'll all know by then whether or not the siding has been removed
Well, we shall know for sure if NJT will run trains up the grandstand in a few weeks! I doubt they will, but I also doubt they will just remove the old siding overnight!

by Jtgshu

NJT DID run into the race track in 2005. They expanded the service on the Coast Line (made more trains stop at Monmouth Park) in 2006. I was told that there was at least one or two pony express trains in 2006, but I never saw them, and they weren't scheduled (so im not sure about that story).

As far as I know, the tracks at the grandstand are NOT removed, but rather covered up with dirt. However, the Crossbucks and RXR signs were removed from Port Au Peck Ave last year. As PVRX noted, the entire siding, all the way up to the grandstand is still listed in service in the NJT timetable.

I would guess that unless special trains are brought in for the Haskell this year, that the track into the Grandstand has seen its last train.

by NY&LB

They used to remove the "the Crossbucks and RXR signs" after race track season in the past, I assume so that school busses and fuel trucks did not have to stop at the crossing.

by PVRX1

It would be easier to install an "exempt" sign under the crossbucks.

As far as the Coast Line goes........There is also a note that passengers may not be loaded/unloaded on the Port Au Peck Ave crossing only the NJCL Monmouth Park station.

Q1. I don't think so, and if they did it may have been 1 or 2 special moves.

Q2 & 3: I do not know.

Q4. The switch is an electric lock switch that is manually operated only after recieving permission from the dispatcher. There is also an associated derail that must be opened and closed after each move.

by nick11a

If NJT is smart, they should run special express trains directly to the grandstand for that Husky thing they got going on this year.

by Jtgshu

nick11a wrote:If NJT is smart, they should run special express trains directly to the grandstand for that Husky thing they got going on this year.
"Haskell" Nick "Haskell" - not "Husky" - thats a clothes size at Sears, or a tool brand!!!

and you made fun of me with whatever the hell I called that bridge out on the Happyrock line........... :-) hahahaaaah

by Ken W2KB

Tri-State Tom wrote:Eric -

Using Google, you can still see the outline of the wye ( in the woods ) off that former runaround track. The north leg appears more intack than the south one.

BTW, given that the steam era on the CNJ ended around 1956-57, I'm amazed Mother Nature hasn't yet obliterated what was once in place there.

PVRX & All -

Your post and the rather unmaintained and rusty look of the racetrack siding in Eric's great photos, begs a question or two....

1) Did NJT run some Pony Express trains last Summer ? If not, when did it last do so ?

2) Was there ever a CNJ Tower here controlling moves in and out of the siding(s) to/from the mains ?

3) Is there now or was there ever a crossover here between main tracks 1&2 ?

4) Is the current switch to this siding manually or remotely operated ?

thanks.
I've seen track diagrams from the 1960's or so that had a crossover. By way of speculation, it's possible that the operator for the movable bridge just up the track from the spur switch could have also controled the crossover and spur.

by Tri-State Tom

Was in Hoboken last Saturday and noted a large advertising banner out on the train concourse announcing service to Monmouth Park this Summer.

Given the condition of the spur in the photos posted here of just a few weeks ago, will NJT be doing any tie replacement and ballast work shortly ?

by blockline4180

Tri-State Tom wrote:Was in Hoboken last Saturday and noted a large advertising banner out on the train concourse announcing service to Monmouth Park this Summer.

Given the condition of the spur in the photos posted here of just a few weeks ago, will NJT be doing any tie replacement and ballast work shortly ?

Tom,

There is nothing on the June4 public timetable that mentions the Pony Express. All the trains that stop at Monmouth Park use the bus shelter, which is along the NJCL..From there you have to walk a few blocks to the Monmouth Park entrance.

I'd expect the spur into the racetrack won't be used.

by Tri-State Tom

4180 -
All the trains that stop at Monmouth Park use the bus shelter, which is along the NJCL..From there you have to walk a few blocks to the Monmouth Park entrance.
Since I haven't been down there in ions, how long has this bus shelter been there and in use ?

That's quite a walk....particularly on a hot day like today or in the rain. Personally, that wouldn't appeal to me at all as a viable alternative to driving to the racetrack.

by CTL10D

Hi all-

I remember being at Monmouth Park for the annual family picnic(gamblers anonymous day) we had each year there, and i was glued to the fence watching the passengers getting on and off the NJT train that ran right up to the grandstand. I was suprised a few yrs ago being back there when i saw that the "station" had been landscaped and was like covered in picnic tables where the tracks where. JT, you said the tracks were just buried and not removed up by the grandstand? Take care -Chris

by blockline4180

Since I haven't been down there in ions, how long has this bus shelter been there and in use ?

Tom,

Yes, AFAIK the bus shelter is still there, however I don't know how long it has been used. I remember it back in 1988 when my father took me to Monmouth a few times..The platform was mostly gravel, I don't know if they ever paved it!

I do agree that it really isnt worth taking the train anymore now that it doesn't go right up to the grandstand...

by wolfboy8171981

blockline4180 wrote: I do agree that it really isnt worth taking the train anymore now that it doesn't go right up to the grandstand...
Now Now think about what your saying, do you really mean it. Your saying you would rather drive to the racetrack, rather than take the train and walk around to the front gate. Even though you may have to park your car way over by the old PRR ROW and walk further than from the Train station.

by Irish Chieftain

No, he's saying that he'd rather have the spur operational.