• Monmouth Park Siding Being removed?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Jtgshu

One of the benefits of the cancellation of the Pony Express was that NJT greatly increased service to the race track. Prior to 2005, only a handful of trains stopped at the Monmouth Park (Main) station. Now, i believe its every train from like 10am until like 8pm stops at the race track. Im sure this has greatly increased flexibility for the riders for the track, allowing many more folks to ride the train to the track, and its showing.
  by ryanov

LIRR runs a service similar to the Pony Express, with a full station and special trains. There are two in and two out, if I'm not mistaken. While I do like the additional service, I don't see any reason NJT couldn't manage a couple of express trains like this, rather than again forcing people to stop at every !@% station on the coast line to get there.

Write customer service and they'll tell you its to place more seats at rush hour. Hey, at least those folks have an aisle to stand to. Someone wanting to get around quickly on the coast line can't even do that.
  by ryanov

Earle Baldwin wrote:The Haskell is this Sunday and they're expecting a record crowd since Big Brown is racing and everyone wants to see him. Between the races and the nice weather forecast for the beach, I imagine NJCL trains will be hopping Sunday.
That they were. Lots of people got off the train to go to the racetrack. I took 7245 and it was rather busy, and that's even an off time.
  by OportRailfan

I was working for the tote dept ( We run the betting machines and make sure they (kinda) work)... and was looking through the unique NY & LB railroad book...

I was out in the blimp hangar...thats what we like to call it...where the 4 tracks used to enter, and I found a lot of stuff in there...we still refer to a string of 8 betting machines along the wall up there as the train gate
  by GSC

Passaic River Rat wrote:Monmouth Park in a different era:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 80&nseq=52
What a great pic.

Love to see pics or maps of the huge yard and turning loop that existed when Monmouth Park was in its original location, where Fort Monmouth is now.
  by ChrisU

It wasn't moved for Fort Monmouth its always been in Oceanport right on Port-au-Peck.
  by NY&LB

Arrow, no...Monmouth Park WAS where Ft monmouth IS from 1870 to 1893. See http://www.cecom.army.mil/historian/ and open the .pdf "landmarks and place names" on the left hand side under Historical Overview or page 2 of the .pdf "consise history of Fort Monmouth"
  by ChrisU

Oh I never knew that,cool thanks.