• Monmouth Park Siding Being removed?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by blockline4180

wolfboy8171981 wrote:
blockline4180 wrote: I do agree that it really isnt worth taking the train anymore now that it doesn't go right up to the grandstand...
Now Now think about what your saying, do you really mean it. Your saying you would rather drive to the racetrack, rather than take the train and walk around to the front gate. Even though you may have to park your car way over by the old PRR ROW and walk further than from the Train station.

No, I'll just drive down taking all the backrounds avoiding the Parkway and then do Valet parking to get into the clubhouse...No need to park far and walk :P

No need to take NJT either!! :P

by Jtgshu

Trains only stop at the shelter now on the Main, no longer into the spur, however, service to Monmouth Park is greatly improved over what it used to be, and many more trains stop there now, offering much more travel flexibility. A good number of people are now using the train, seems more than in the past.

The Pony Express never had THAT many people on it - usually it was under 100 people. It seems many more than that are using the station on the Coast Line.

Its still gravel, but they did extend it about 2 years ago, so its like a 2 car platform now.

by wolfboy8171981

blockline4180 wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:
blockline4180 wrote: I do agree that it really isnt worth taking the train anymore now that it doesn't go right up to the grandstand...
Now Now think about what your saying, do you really mean it. Your saying you would rather drive to the racetrack, rather than take the train and walk around to the front gate. Even though you may have to park your car way over by the old PRR ROW and walk further than from the Train station.

No, I'll just drive down taking all the backrounds avoiding the Parkway and then do Valet parking to get into the clubhouse...No need to park far and walk :P

No need to take NJT either!! :P
All I'm saying is you make it sound like they should not stop ANY trains there becasue you have to walk a little bit.

by Eric Kreszl

Hello Everyone,

Would it be possible for me to find the Wye if I walked down the siding???

Eric

by Eric Kreszl

Hello Again,

I wanted to let you all know that I will be in Ocanport Tomorrow taking photos of the trains. I checked the Monmuth Park Website and there will be races tomorrow. I wonder if there will be trains using the Siding????

Eric

by Tri-State Tom

I wonder if there will be trains using the Siding????
Excuse me fellas but I'm due back on the planet Earth....

by Jtgshu

Tri-State Tom wrote:
I wonder if there will be trains using the Siding????
Excuse me fellas but I'm due back on the planet Earth....
:-) I wonder if trains are gonna be using planet Earth? :-)
  by Passaic River Rat

I think the tracks are being covered to make way for construction of temporary bleachers for the Breeder's Cup this October. Check out this link for more information.
Eric Kreszl wrote:Hello Everyone,

I was in Oceanport today taking photos and I walked the entire Racetrack siding from Bridgewaters Drive to Port-AU-Peck Ave and as I got to the racetrack property I realized that where the old train station area was THE TRACKS ARE GONE! :( There is also a derail put in place at the switch on the NJCL Does this mean the end of NJ Transit Rail Service to the racktrack via the siding in favor of the main NJCL Station. Could they be getting ready to remove the siding for good?...

by ApproachMedium

You would think if they are getting that much business this year they would want to re-open the railroad siding and get that refurbed as well. If alot of people are gonna want to be here that tiny platform right on the NJCL is just not going to cut it.

by Passaic River Rat

Perhaps they will dump some gravel east of Port-au-Peck Avenue on the siding and handle rail passengers outside the park. Just a thought.
AntNJTrainSet wrote:You would think if they are getting that much business this year they would want to re-open the railroad siding and get that refurbed as well. If alot of people are gonna want to be here that tiny platform right on the NJCL is just not going to cut it.
  by moveonrp

Not to revive an old topic, but.....

Today I was at Monmouth Park and talking to one of Sports&Exposition Authority managers. I asked about the Pony Express. He told me that the siding needed major tie replacement and neither NJ Transit nor the Sports&Exposition Authority wanted to spend the money to refurbish it. He told me that there was talk of refurbishing the track and expanding the wire so that electric trains could run on the Pony Express with direct NY service.

However, the work was extremely cost prohibitive (over $1 million without addressing ADA low-platform issues). Alas, the Pony Express was discontinued and will probably never return.
  by Ken W2KB

moveonrp wrote:Not to revive an old topic, but.....

Today I was at Monmouth Park and talking to one of Sports&Exposition Authority managers. I asked about the Pony Express. He told me that the siding needed major tie replacement and neither NJ Transit nor the Sports&Exposition Authority wanted to spend the money to refurbish it. He told me that there was talk of refurbishing the track and expanding the wire so that electric trains could run on the Pony Express with direct NY service.

However, the work was extremely cost prohibitive (over $1 million without addressing ADA low-platform issues). Alas, the Pony Express was discontinued and will probably never return.
Or the dual mode locos that NJT is ordering will eliminate the substantial costs of the catenary, probably the large portion of the over $1 million.
  by Earle Baldwin

The regularly scheduled trains appear to be carrying a fairly substantial number of Monmouth Park passengers this season. I've seen some pretty good sized crowds getting off there.

earle
  by Grump

Absolutely.
And you'd be amazed how many people get their after the first race and leave before the last. People are in and out all day.... Some trains like 7252, 7256, 7260 really get slammed goin east.......
  by Earle Baldwin

Right on. People come and go all day at that place. We usually have a family gathering at MP on Father's Day and Haskell Day. Some people are already leaving after the second race. I guess they blow it all on the first few races or the simulcasts so their day is done before it barely gets started. Also, I think some people get there, lay all their bets in advance, stay for a few races and scoot. The exception is the Haskell when everyone stays for the main race whether or not they have money left. The Haskell is this Sunday and they're expecting a record crowd since Big Brown is racing and everyone wants to see him. Between the races and the nice weather forecast for the beach, I imagine NJCL trains will be hopping Sunday.

Earle