Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

It looks like first train of M7's will go in revenue service out of Harmon in first week of April.
the total amout of cars on property is now 12

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... bydate%3A3
  by DutchRailnut

Someone forgot to streamline this snozz.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/130 ... 6531HrVAFt
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

by 9C1LT1

Cool paint job, wheres the number though? I know the FRA doesn't reqire light up numberboards anymore. Atleast on the Genesis you guys have the number on the front! Also that name is so low on the front... It looks like they remembered after the fact to put the name on. They are nice cars enjoy operating them Dutchrailnut! I guess this is it for the ACMU's?

by mncommuter

Can't wait to ride them! Any idea which routes they'll be running? Maybe just replacing the ACMUs on the same schedule?

PS - The link to the second picture doesn't seem to work

by DutchRailnut

numbers are only posted on side just like all other MNCR mu's.
the first 6 cars will be operating out of Harmon on train 720 I think.
let you know if I hear more.
  by Kurt

How much instruction given to the crews that will operate the M-7s? Was it just a quick introduction to the equipment or more in depth? :wink:

by DutchRailnut

the plan is there will be 3 days of instruction, lots more than the 25 Cent tour we got on the Genesis for instruction.
  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

Have a crazy question. Passengers will not be able to move between cars other than the married pairs they are in, correct? If this is correct, you're going to have a lot of "happy" commuters. People would jump off moving 1100's but here at stations people will try running out the door of one set of cars and into the next set looking for seats. Someone is going to get left behind. And those announcements will drive the people absolutely nuts as they commute to work in the morning and home after a long day in the city. Just what they need to hear; some robo voice (male and female of course) telling them what the next stop is going to be. Just what you want to hear at 6:50 in the morning as you try to catch a little extra few winks, that is if you can with those new wonderful seats which I hear contain air bags, is that correct, air bags?

Incidentally, any plans to donate any of the 1100's to any railroad museums, such as Danbury or the New York Central RR Museum in Elkart, Indiana? After all, they are the last pieces of functioning NYC RR equipment

by DutchRailnut

The full size cab is only at end of train at both ends. when M7's ride in mid train configuration the cab door instead of acros the aisle wil close foreward and close cab area.
you can move from Pair to pair or car to car just like M1 or M3.

The announcements are made automatic after several customers complained about lack of anouncements. and yes they will be working on each train from 0430 in morning till 0130 at night.
don't worry they will keep the crew awake too.

Airbags in seat no not happening , the cars just like the M1 and M3 and other M series or Bombardier rides on a Airbag suspention, it adjust for load and ride quality.

ACMU's to museums ??? Im sure if Museums would ask they may be able to get some, I have not heard any interest at DRM to get any of these cars.

by JayMan

Ok, I know the M7's will have full width cabs but will they feature the "Railfan" window, (window in cab door) like the R-142 subway trains do, or are we going to miss that with the M1's and 3's?

by JustJoe

JayMan wrote:Ok, I know the M7's will have full width cabs but will they feature the "Railfan" window, (window in cab door) like the R-142 subway trains do, or are we going to miss that with the M1's and 3's?
On the LIRR M7s, I'm pretty sure there is a window, but it has a metal shade that is supposed to be closed at all times. You can say goodbye to your head end rides. :( One neat thing about the new cab designs is that you can sit in the observers seat in any of the other open cars.

by Otto Vondrak

I rode the LIRR M-7's New Year's Day coming from Gibson station. Poor ride, uncomfortable seats, and no railfan window on the head-end.

Thanks MTA! Next time, just buy more Shoreliner coaches and more locomotives!

-otto-

by DutchRailnut

I posted a few picures of the MNCR M-7a's at my webshot page.
http://community.webshots.com/album/130095460LYtknu

by M1 9147

Jaap, I'll say the M7's are really nice. The interior is the same as LIRR's, which I took shots of yesterday. Note, I'm gonna try to sneak a few pics at GCT with my hidden digital hee, hee, hee!