Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

I would not bet on all cars being in service by end of year. MNCR is to recieve 6 cars a week, and it takes a week to do acceptance testing if nothing goes wrong.
only 28 weeks left this year so 168 cars max if nothing goes wrong.

by railtrailbiker

Commuters waiting for the 7:12 a.m. train to pull into the village station yesterday got a welcome surprise. Their usual ride, a set of 40-year-old ACMU 1100s, was replaced with a string of six shiny new M7s.

No. 718 was the first new Metro-North Railroad train to roll down the Hudson Line in 20 years. As the train approached around a bend, the train's first paying passengers raised eyebrows, said, "Wow" and smiled as they checked out their sleek, stainless steel ride.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/ ... 24m7s.html

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

Reading the comments of the commuter on the first train in the Journal News article makes me laugh. She comments on the comfort of the seats and the large spacious window. Think the seats on the 1100's are much more comfortable and the windows are just a large, if not larger. Let's see how long these M7's last. Give them about 25 years.

by Otto Vondrak

I heard the M-7's were pulled from service after a breakdown at the height of the morning rush on Monday. Back to the drawing board!

-otto-
  by metroduff

718 was again an M-7 consist this morning, track 28 in GCT
  by mncommuter

According to a leaflet left on seats this evening:

Meet the Fleet! New M7 Cars on Display

Metro-North will have its new M7 cars on display on Wednesday, April 28th, from 8:30 am to 4 pm on Track 37 in Grand Central Terminal.
Experts will be on hand to answer questions.
  by Terrapin Station

mncommuter wrote:According to a leaflet left on seats this evening:

Meet the Fleet! New M7 Cars on Display

Metro-North will have its new M7 cars on display on Wednesday, April 28th, from 8:30 am to 4 pm on Track 37 in Grand Central Terminal.
Experts will be on hand to answer questions.
I went there this morning at 8:20 AM and took a zillion photos. You can see them here.
  by Head-end View

Nice pictures. Did anyone at GCT or Marble Hill give you a hard time about taking photos?

by mncommuter

Great shots, Brian!
  by Terrapin Station

Head-end View wrote:Nice pictures. Did anyone at GCT or Marble Hill give you a hard time about taking photos?
GCT was a free for all! Unfettered photographic access like you've never seen!

Marble Hill was devoid of anyone of authority. And besides, I only took like 5 photos on the platform and then I took the rest from the Broadway Bridge.

by Terrapin Station

mncommuter wrote:Great shots, Brian!
Thanks! Check out the rest of the photos on my website, if you are so inclined. I have close to 7,000 photos online, all taken within the last 3 years. Of course, they are mostly of the NYC Subway and not Metro-North, but you might like them nonetheless.
  by Kurt

can anyone tell me what the five blue stars are on the side represent?[/img]

by KFRG

The 5 star "We Serve With Pride" logo is originally a LIRR thing.

-Tom

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

You know what, those 5 stars should stay on LIRR equipment. MetroNorth employees don't need a motto to tell the world they serve with pride. MN employees epitomize service with pride. LIRR on the other hand, well, we'll leave it at that. Like the old NY Central employees, MetroNorth has the greatest commuter railroad people around. They are stars!!!!!!!