Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MikeF

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:Have any F40's been retired yet?
No.

by MetraF40C607

UP has 125 and 127.

by Scotty Burkhardt

Whats going on with 104? Why was it pulling a Union Pacific car on the Milw. District? Not that its the first time I've seen one of Metra F40's pulling a U.P. OCS. What was the purpose of that run?

by MetraF40C607

Excuse me, UP has 126 and 127.

by bones

U.P has 125,26 & 27.

by AMTK84

On Tuesday 8/10/05, METX161 is scheduled to move from UP to the Rocket House for rebuild; 124 is to move from MILW to UP, and 102 is to move from RI to MILW.

It was reported that 156 was at Western Avenue on Monday morning; it has since moved to UP and was on the point of train 55 tonight.
  by MetraBNSF

194 ran HC train 21 tonight with 8474 as the rear car. It will run the first HC of the day tomorrow morning.

by metraRI

I just wanted to continue the topic of New Start Expansion locomotive assignment changes from the 411 thread to here.

Last Sunday, there was no sign of any F40PH on RI, Blue Island Yard was full of F40PHM-2's. I have no idea where 103 & 104 would have been instead.

by Scotty Burkhardt

103 is double headed and 104 is in the Rocket house. On the way home from class I saw it next to 161. I was stopped at Crawford Ave. and I saw 103 on the mainline leading one of the PHM-2's. 103 has been doubleheaded on the mainline since at least Tuesday. I'm not sure which train it is on, sorry.

by metraRI

Hmm, Interesting. The double header is most likely train #411, which only makes one round trip each weekday and no longer runs on the weekend.

by AmtrakFan

The BNSF line often has Doubleheaders on Sundays is there a reason for that?

by MetraBNSF

My guess is although service is every 2 hours on Sunday, they keep a spare on the road in case another engine develops a problem. Double headers on weekends and even Friday evenings are not an unusual occurance.

by AMTK84

Well, 161 is being rebuilt; I expect 104 is just there for work or its 3-year inspection since it was next to 161. Also 166 was at Western Avenue, last report on UP shows a release from M19A on 9/7/05 at 15:00.

by Scotty Burkhardt

106 is on BNSF-HC-SWS

by metraRI

Wow. It is about time that we have some "new" stuff running south. 199 was on SWS last Friday, and is now rumored to be on MILW. Maybe Metra is making some early moves for expanded service.