Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by byte

I notice there are several flag-stops at the new 35th station, both in and outbound on weekdays, and almost all trains on weekends. Which is really interesting because that's 79mph territory right there, and I don't see them putting up a strobe light mast like they have on the CSS&SB. Wonder how they intend on letting the engineer know someone's on the platform, without making them do a "precision big hole" at the last minute. Thankfully neither of the two Beverly inbound trains I can take in the morning will be stopping at 35th, so my snooze between Englewood and 16th street will be uninterrupted.

There are various things Metra could do to really speed up the Gresham - LaSalle portion of the Rock mainline. The cab signaling system used on the route gives them the ability to pass 79 mph as the top speed, if track tolerances are brought up to an FRA class 5 standard - up to 90 mph, which is the maximum speed for tread-braked equipment. Clearly the speed restriction at Englewood will be solved when the flyover is constructed, but no such possibility exists for 16th street. However, an FRA waiver could be obtained for the installation of a flange-bearing diamond there, giving Rock trains a smooth (and faster) path through the junction, meaning they could pretty much start accelerating up to 79 (or 90, ideally...) as soon as they leave the terminal limits of La Salle.
  by metraRI

byte wrote:I notice there are several flag-stops at the new 35th station, both in and outbound on weekdays, and almost all trains on weekends.
My guess for all the flag stops is probably due to the unknown ridership trend at the new station. If most trains are stopping in a few months, the flag will probably be lifted. This was done at Robbins for most inbound weekday trains with the '07 schedule. It will be interesting to see the service Metra provides on White Sox game days, as it is stated extra service will run.
  by justalurker66

byte wrote:I notice there are several flag-stops at the new 35th station, both in and outbound on weekdays, and almost all trains on weekends. Which is really interesting because that's 79mph territory right there, and I don't see them putting up a strobe light mast like they have on the CSS&SB.
NICTD @ Beverly Shores is 79mph MAS ... @ Hudson Lake the line is 75mph west and 60mph for 1.5mi east.

How does METRA handle their current flag stops? This can't be the first.
  by metraRI

RI's new schedule hasn't even gone into effect yet, but Metra has already reverted some of its changes. The current 3:25/3:45 departures, which were to move up to 3:20/3:40, will remain unchanged. The 'unchanged' will also cause some of the new inbound times to be tweaked, in particular the new branch run #620. Updated schedule to be posted tomorrow.
  by c604.

I think they just approach flag stops prepared to stop and if no one is visible on the platform they take off.
  by byte

Got the official Metra email today about the new schedule going into effect on the 3rd. In other news, the station at 35th looks nowhere near complete. Almost none of the platform area is paved and there is quite a bit of fencing which hasn't been installed yet.

I also have to say I'm disappointed that this station doesn't include space for one or two part-time ticket agents (for Sox game days). Maybe they plan on putting in MED-style ticket vending machines as well, but if they do they're not there yet.
  by metraRI

byte wrote:Got the official Metra email today about the new schedule going into effect on the 3rd. In other news, the station at 35th looks nowhere near complete. Almost none of the platform area is paved and there is quite a bit of fencing which hasn't been installed yet.

I also have to say I'm disappointed that this station doesn't include space for one or two part-time ticket agents (for Sox game days). Maybe they plan on putting in MED-style ticket vending machines as well, but if they do they're not there yet.
I too was suprised that Metra announced the opening of the station before completion. I'm sure minor construction will still be taking place after the opening, but it will be usable for business. In my opinion, it was critical for Metra to get the station done by Sox Opening Day. As for having an agent, I don't think its needed. Most people will have already purchased tickets before getting to 35th Street at an outlying station with an agent on duty. Metra may need to have select agents open on weekends if ridership is high for Sox games.
  by byte

Just for the heck of it, I went through the White Sox' home schedule to see when they have weekday early afternoon games where ticket agents would be open at the outlying stations when the attendees leave for the game (although in my opinion, the only real place for day baseball is 1060 W. Addison..). There are only eight; they all start at 1:10 pm. So most people would probably take inbound #512 to get them there in time (gets to 35th at 12:40).

That being said, you might be right about the ticket agent thing in general. I was originally thinking it would be a pain in the butt for the conductors to cut cash fares for all those people, but the fare structure has been simplified to the extent that two one-ways from A to B through H all wind up being no-change transactions ($5, $7, $8, etc), and if the riders have their wits about them they'll just pay for both tickets on the way to the game and not get one on the way there and one back.

On a related note, maybe this station and its inevitable crowds will start forcing Rock conductors to quit opening only two cars (of 9) on off-peak runs.
  by metraRI

Today marks the first full business week of RIs new schedule. From what I could tell 35th Street has seen steady ridership, on part of IIT faculty and students. Not sure if big crowds have come for White Sox games yet, in fact it appeared Metra did not run an extra outbound as planned after the home opener. One of the biggest ridership changes has been with train #415, the old 5:10 departure from LaSalle. Since being pushed back to a 5:15 departure, the train has been standing room only, forcing Metra to add a 10th car.