Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#782373  by MetraBNSF

Usually BNSF will post schedules for extra service at the six outer most stations since they're served by the extra trains. I haven't seen any schedules for extra service posted but I wouldn't be surprised if there is extra service.
 #789429  by doepack

"Early quit" service for Good Friday, also note the change in hours for ticket agents at outlying stations, most of them are quitting early too; if not closed altogether...
 #789520  by metraRI

doepack wrote:"Early quit" service for Good Friday, also note the change in hours for ticket agents at outlying stations, most of them are quitting early too; if not closed altogether...
Seems like Metra decided to rethink the no change to SWS, there is now an early 3:40 train to Manhattan which wasn't there previously. Then oddly enough, they did not cancel the usual 5:40 to Manhattan, rather the 6:15 to Orland.
 #820555  by MetraBNSF

Metra has released modified and supplemental schedules for the Taste of Chicago and July 2-4.

Taste of Chicago service :http://metrarail.com/content/dam/metra/ ... hedule.pdf

Friday July 2: http://metrarail.com/content/dam/metra/ ... hedule.pdf

Saturday July 3: http://metrarail.com/content/dam/metra/ ... hedule.pdf

Sunday July 4: http://metrarail.com/content/dam/metra/ ... hedule.pdf

Sunday/Holiday schedule on Monday, July 5.
 #820706  by doepack

Whoa. Looks a little scaled down this year (except on the Burlington of course)...
 #820753  by F40CFan

I hate the "waste of Chicago". The trains are filled with tourists and amateur drinkers who seem to think taking already crowded rush hour trains is a good idea.
 #821370  by ohioriverrailway

F40CFan wrote:I hate the "waste of Chicago". The trains are filled with tourists and amateur drinkers who seem to think taking already crowded rush hour trains is a good idea.
You got something against (us) tourists? What, you never take a trip and ride on a system in another place? Just kidding!!
 #821572  by F40CFan

I love when tourists come here and spend, just not during rush hour. :-)
 #825549  by 7express

F40CFan wrote:I love when tourists come here and spend, just not during rush hour. :-)

I feel the same way here in New York, on the New Haven line, except its worse since were already a full capacity, and usually short cars since our 30 year old equipment is constantly breaking down. Then add in the fact tourists with their large suitcases blocking the aisles and the doors, and it's really not fun. Though it is humorus when the conductors come around and charge them an extra $5 because they don't have peak ticket, or even more if they don't have a ticket at all.
 #825760  by F40CFan

7express wrote:Though it is humorus when the conductors come around and charge them an extra $5 because they don't have peak ticket, or even more if they don't have a ticket at all.
I like the idea of a "peak ticket", I've been thinking they should do something like that here. As for defining peak time, it would be any train on which they don't allow bicycles. This is clearly documented in the timetables.
 #828336  by 7express

F40CFan wrote:I like the idea of a "peak ticket", I've been thinking they should do something like that here. As for defining peak time, it would be any train on which they don't allow bicycles. This is clearly documented in the timetables.

Yah, I love peak tickets. Metro North "peak" times are trains arriving in Grand Central between 6:00 am and 10:00 am, and departing Grand Central between 4:00 PM and 8:00 PM. Note, there's also reverse peak in the morning, with commuters doing the reverse peak to Stamford (New Haven line, UBS & a recently opened Royal Bank of Scotland ajacent to the station) and White Plains (Harlem line). These reverse peaks are trains leaving Grand Central between 5:30 AM and 9:00 AM. Interesting, is that theirs reverse peak in the AM, but off peak in the PM.

Since Grand Central has about 17 ticket vending machine's (machines you can use credit/debit cards or cash. Instead of talking to an agent, you do your ticket on screen) and about 4 or 5 ticket agents (cash only) availible from 5:30 am to 1:30 or so am, there's never a time where you wouldn't able to get a ticket. If by some chance the agent isn't there, use the machine. With that in mind if your on a peak train, it's a 15% surcharge from off-peak prices (my 10 trip off peak from Bridgeport-GCT is $100 compared to $155 for a peak 10 trip). If you don't have a ticket its $3 or 4 extra dollars, which'll be about the same price as if you have an off-peak ticket.

Why I like peak hour trains is that their less crowded first off (because there's more) and second is that people are either doing work, sleeping, or reading the paper. I don't have to listen to some yodel screaming on his phone the 90 minute trip, and on peak trains if someone has to use the phone normally they go into the vestuble, or use a low tone. With the increased prices, its also keeps the family with the 3 uncontrollable kids off the train which people on the off peak trains have to deal with. if I ever have to do something in NYC like an appointment I'll either try to take the 8:11 (the last peak hour express[ 2 stops]) and do something like the subway/walk around until my appointment, or take 1 or 2 off peak trains that originate in Bridgeport. That way I'll put up with the kids, but I can at least sit down since it starts at my station. Going home I will ALWAYS wait for a peak train if I'm at GCT after 3:15.
 #828339  by 7express

Oh yah absolutely NO bikes allowed on peak hour trains. My friend, who works in the city and takes the train every day told me about some guy who tried to take a bike on a peak hour train; the conductors kicked him off at the next stop.
 #828783  by doepack

7express wrote:With that in mind if your on a peak train, it's a 15% surcharge from off-peak prices (my 10 trip off peak from Bridgeport-GCT is $100 compared to $155 for a peak 10 trip). If you don't have a ticket its $3 or 4 extra dollars, which'll be about the same price as if you have an off-peak ticket.
Here, it's a $3 surcharge for any ticket bought from the conductor on the train if a ticket agent was on duty at the station, but it applies to ALL trains. Does MN only apply the surcharge to just peak trains?
7express wrote:Why I like peak hour trains is that their less crowded first off (because there's more) and second is that people are either doing work, sleeping, or reading the paper. I don't have to listen to some yodel screaming on his phone the 90 minute trip, and on peak trains if someone has to use the phone normally they go into the vestuble, or use a low tone.
We sure could use some of that cell phone etiquette around here. Rush hour trains aren't bad usually, but it can get pretty annoying on off-peak trains...
 #828871  by F40CFan

I believe the peak fee is in addition to the penalty for purchasing the ticket from the conductor. We definately need something like that. In addition they should charge for every seat taken, regardless of age or if you decide to use the seat for storage. It is rediculous that people have to stand due to others ignorance.