Railroad Forums 

• Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1629636  by malbojah

The Gallo stub in sagamore is used for All Cape recycling and their metal business. How they currently ship out, I am unsure. I could have swore I saw a rail car inside the building though.

Hopefully the full stub is completely rebuilt, as it will force some of the businesses next door from parking on the railroad tracks. Ask me how I see it every Thursday 😁
 #1629676  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

The Fly ash was rich in vanadium making it valuable, so Bay Colony began shipping it to Oklahoma to be refined by US Vanadium. Later Gallo Construction was retained by Canal Electric to construct a building to keep the ash from blowing over to the neighboring marina. See info on page 8 Canal Electric for further details.

https://nears.org/presentations/NEARS_S ... Colony.pdf
Last edited by MEC407 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1633390  by johnpbarlow

Mass Coastal RR has filed with the STB to acquire the 2 Bay Colony lines (Millis and Watuppa).

Millis line: https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... 307491.pdf
Watuppa line: https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... 307492.pdf

While the Watuppa line has a decent level of business, the Millis line is all but dormant these days. It's not clear how MC can breathe life into the moribund track.
 #1633393  by FatNoah

While the Watuppa line has a decent level of business, the Millis line is all but dormant these days. It's not clear how MC can breathe life into the moribund track.
I wonder if it was a package deal, i.e. take both or none at all.
 #1633394  by Cosmo

That could be! Reading through all this, my thinking is: "isn't that the total of BCLR'S operational assets?"
My own supposition/conclusion is that MCRR is buying out BCLR totally and they have to take the Millis Branch along with the Watuppa.
That said, it may be that MCRR might be better suited to making hay from the Millis Br. than whatever was left of BCLR. Who knows?
Next question is: will MCRR acquire 1701 and whatever power operates Watuppa, or will they move in their own power?
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1633475  by jamoldover

Re: Watuppa - IIRC, MCRR has been serving the BCLR customers on behalf of BCLR on a contract basis for a few years now - I don't think BCLR has actually been running trains down there.

However, I may be wrong.
 #1633484  by GP40MC1118

It's the other way around. BCLR switches Mid-City for MC, since MDOT/MC own/operate between MP6 and end of track. BCLR's lone customer is
DBS (Dartmouth Building Supply) at Old Reed Rd in N. Dartmouth. BCLR operates MP6 to New Bedford under their own flag.