Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

every car will go through acceptance testing, they will have to perform around +/- 1000 miles without any failure.
any failure will set it back to 0 miles.
The initial proto cars will need to do 4 times as much I believe.
  by milkyoreo27

Anybody spot the fourth pair around?
  by hcobin

At the CT Rail Commuter Council meeting Wednesday night, the railroad said the fourth pair are attached to a CSX freight train and are en route to New Haven.
  by Train538

hcobin wrote:At the CT Rail Commuter Council meeting Wednesday night, the railroad said the fourth pair are attached to a CSX freight train and are en route to New Haven.
Great! Do you know if the pair is east of Selkirk, NY? (Or if you don't know that answer do you or does someone else know when the last pair 9100/9101 is expected to arrive in New Haven?)
  by MNCRR9000

That's great that the fourth pair is on it's way to New Haven. With the testing that still has to be done how much longer till they run the full train? If I recall was it around June that they would begin running it?
  by hcobin

ConnDOT officials at Wednesday's commuter council meeting did not say when the first M-8 consist would run in testing, They did say the first revenue train probably won't run until November or December.
They said the cars that are here are going through clearance and static testing.
Also, no more cars will be built in Japan until the testing is completed.
Separately, they said they'd provide the commuter council with conceptual drawings of bar cars Connecticut might purchase as an add-on to the contract with Kawasaki.
H.F.C.
Last edited by hcobin on Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Steamboat Willie

In regards to when testing is beginning, there is a new job that is up for bid in this weeks advertisement for the Test Train. Believe it reports at 2000hrs in NH and works as directed.
  by Silverliner II

Steamboat Willie wrote:In regards to when testing is beginning, there is a new job that is up for bid in this weeks advertisement for the Test Train. Believe it reports at 2000hrs in NH and works as directed.
I know who won't be bidding on that one! :wink:
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

As of earlier today when I was in NH, it appears that all 8 cars, 4 pairs, are now all at the Acceptance Yard.
  by Silverliner II

MNR's #1 Conductor wrote:As of earlier today when I was in NH, it appears that all 8 cars, 4 pairs, are now all at the Acceptance Yard.
May the M8 testing go as well as it is with our three prototype Silverliner V cars....we have one single and a pair roaming the rails overnight now.... :-D
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Silverliner II wrote:
MNR's #1 Conductor wrote:As of earlier today when I was in NH, it appears that all 8 cars, 4 pairs, are now all at the Acceptance Yard.
May the M8 testing go as well as it is with our three prototype Silverliner V cars....we have one single and a pair roaming the rails overnight now.... :-D
Well anyone doing any nighttiming on the east end of the New Haven between Stamford and NH (though mostly it will ping pong between Bridgeport and NH), should keep their eyes open. Eventually, it will make test runs further down the line. Just keep the eyes open!!

As for those SLVs, those truly are some ugly cars!! lol
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Train538 wrote:
hcobin wrote:At the CT Rail Commuter Council meeting Wednesday night, the railroad said the fourth pair are attached to a CSX freight train and are en route to New Haven.
Great! Do you know if the pair is east of Selkirk, NY? (Or if you don't know that answer do you or does someone else know when the last pair 9100/9101 is expected to arrive in New Haven?)
As of Sunday when I was up in NH, all 8 cars, 4 pairs, are in the Kawasaki Acceptance Yard in NH Yard.
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Steamboat Willie wrote:In regards to when testing is beginning, there is a new job that is up for bid in this weeks advertisement for the Test Train. Believe it reports at 2000hrs in NH and works as directed.
I would love nothing more than to bid it, but for a few teenie problems:

1). I ain't got no whiskers to hold it!!
2). NH just a little too far away to do regular commuting to!!! (I live in NYC, over 72 miles away!!)
3). The hours on duty SUCK!!!

I wish it was a NY (GCT) job!! I'd be all over it!!! But again, that sounds like a gig that would go ultra senior!!!
  by Train538

MNR's #1 Conductor wrote:
Train538 wrote:
As of Sunday when I was up in NH, all 8 cars, 4 pairs, are in the Kawasaki Acceptance Yard in NH Yard.
Great! I look foward to seeing them running under their own power!
  by Steamboat Willie

#1Condr- you know who the engineer is whom got awarded the job. I am sure if your seniority allowed it you would be doing the same commute she (the engineer) is doing for the sheer love of trains. Engineer lives not that far away from you.