Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Jeff Smith

Not that I've seen; 300 was current as of about a year ago. I'll recheck. They may intend to exercise the option, but they would have to get the funds. Certainly, NYS is not in any financial position to do so, and CT isn't either.
  by Clean Cab

From what I've heard, only 200 M8's (100 for MTA, 100 for CDOT) have been officially ordered. I hope that all optional cars are purchased. Heck, I'd like to see over 400 cars ordered!!
  by Jeff Smith

Check the wiki page on the New Haven Line; I linked an executive summary by someone at CDOT regarding the M8 purchase. It's 300 cars ordered with funding authorized for 342 and options for an additional 80, including bar and SLE. I've probably linked it somewhere in here, too, but rather than troll through all the pages you can just find it on Wiki.
  by DutchRailnut

Wiki is about as dependable as National Enquirer.
  by Jeff Smith

You mean the same National Enquirer that broke the John Edward's story and was nominated for a Pulitzer? Yeah, it's still kind of a joke, but most if not all of the New Haven line page on wiki is accurate and properly sourced, and I added quite a few of those sources.

And, more on point, is the information wrong on the 300 cars (210+90) as well as the additional option cars contained in the post?
  by DutchRailnut

real world and political world are two worlds, they may have funded the cars but they may not have ordered them.

CleanCab is directly involved in the M-8 project, so his info is pretty much right on.
  by Jeff Smith

Gotcha. Thanks. I was pretty sure it was 300 per that memo; 300 may not have been funded yet.
  by Clean Cab

Funding is one issue. I know from attending M8 meetings that only 200 cars are being built at this time. However it could change rather quickly. I have no doubt that more than 200 cars will be ordered. But for now, 200 is what their starting with.
  by milkyoreo27

I was at Union Station yesterday and I saw a genesis hooked up to one pair, and a whole crew standing outside talking, a few of them hopping in the P40 once in a while.. what was goin on there?
  by acela kid

Is metro north still running the M-8 clareance train and if so can anyone tell me the schedule which they run and off topic does any know when the ringling brothers circus train will roll on the new haven line thanks.
  by DutchRailnut

milkyoreo27 wrote:I was at Union Station yesterday and I saw a genesis hooked up to one pair, and a whole crew standing outside talking, a few of them hopping in the P40 once in a while.. what was goin on there?
funny as a genesis is totaly incompatible with the m-8 brake system.
All m series cars can only be hooked up to 90 LbS brakepipe.
A genesis is 110 PBS only , with no adjustment.
  by Jeff Smith

I thought they were taking them around with the Brookvilles?
  by Patrick A.

Perhaps he was mistaken, last I heard it was a Brookville unit doing the towing.
  by milkyoreo27

Patrick A. wrote:Perhaps he was mistaken, last I heard it was a Brookville unit doing the towing.
Nope, it was for sure an ex-Amtrak Genesis P40, with a CDOT logo painted on. And they were for sure coupled together, with the Genesis front facing the M8.
  by L'mont

The last pair MUST be on it's way. Is it in Balt. yet, I thought they were hoping to have one whole set testing under it's own propulsion within the next month or so.

What's the word? I also assume that each set need not be dragged around for clearance testing. Is that all complete?