Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

I auto update, the website needs human updates if at all possible ;-)
  by Clean Cab

I've believed for quite some time that MNR gets it's information from Dutch Rail Nut!!!
  by DutchRailnut

LOl, only their technical information.
  by Train2009

Train2009 wrote:A 6 Car Trainset was on the New Canaan Branch today.

there was a set yesterday.
  by Train538

9236/37 and 9238/39 have arrived at the acceptance yard in New Haven (as per a friend of mine).
  by Train2009

#9149 and #9148 was pushing by GP35R #103 in New Haven, CT Yard yesterday into the repair facility.
  by DutchRailnut

132 cars as of today.
  by khansingh

^At this point, are there more M8's in service than M2's?
  by Steamboat Willie

Quite a few M8's are also shopped.
  by DutchRailnut

With any rail fleet about 1/5 to 1/3 is shopped for various maintenance with M-8's shop count is actually low. its below 1/5 of cars.
  by khansingh

I'm sure they won't, but I was wondering if there were any plans to order M8's in different livery for Shore Line East.
  by Train538

khansingh wrote:I'm sure they won't, but I was wondering if there were any plans to order M8's in different livery for Shore Line East.
As of now, there is no order for M8s in SLE livery. Also, testing has not begun east of New Haven so it's still questionable as to whether or not the M8s will run on Shore Line East service.
  by NH2060

khansingh wrote:I'm sure they won't, but I was wondering if there were any plans to order M8's in different livery for Shore Line East.
I doubt there would be anything different other than perhaps some logo changes (swapping the MNRR logos for CT Commuter Rail logos, etc.) On the other hand it probably would not make much sense to make such changes for only 24 or so cars in a 400+ car fleet, especially if the intention is to include the cars in SLE service as part of the larger M8 equipment pool (to swap out and exchange cars, etc.) And who knows by the time they actually get around to being OK'd for SLE the service might end up being operated by Metro-North itself if CDOT were to decide to/if Amtrak wouldn't have a problem with it (which seems like a real long shot :-P)
  by Jeff Smith

Pool service has always bugged me for ^ reason. Right now, SLE is not in pool except for the one Waterbury mid-day run, and the cars and power all have unique logo's. But the M8's and everything else, including power and cars, can be in either NH scheme or Hudson/Harlem. So even though CDOT will have 100% ownership of the cars beyond 325 (includind the 25 singles) they'll all be in pool service.
  by khansingh

Yeah, I figured it was just whistling in the dark, but I thought it was cool to contemplate M8's with black stripes and "NH" logos on them. Continuing this discussion of livery, I wonder if the M8's style, which I personally find very striking, might influence MTA/LIRR with the M9. They could at least consider putting a blue or yellow stripe on the side.