• LIRR Union Negotiations/Newsday Editorial

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BobLI

WB Mr. Tool. Your insight on the RR has been missed by many.
  by Slippy

TOOL:

Did anyone watch the news this evening??
The MTA Wednesday asked President Barack Obama to appoint another Presidential Emergency Board, the second such intervention in the four-year contract impasse between the agency and labor unions representing 5,800 Long Island Rail Road workers.

As outlined in the federal Railway Labor Act, the three-member board of mediators to be appointed by Obama will review the disagreement and deliver a nonbinding recommendation. If both sides can't reach a deal, LIRR workers can legally strike in July.

In a statement Wednesday, the MTA said the first board "ignored the enormous burden" the raises, without major concessions, would place on the agency's budget.

"The MTA hopes the second Presidential Emergency Board will take everyone else's sacrifices into account as it begins this process," the statement said.

"Since the last [Presidential Emergency Board] . . . the MTA continues to find money to spend on what they want to spend it on," said Simon, who referenced what he has said is a generous new contract with the MTA's police union and a new toll rebate program for some drivers. "All of labor is fed up with the MTA's games."
MTA seeks second Obama emergency board in LIRR contract impasse
  by Noel Weaver

wintower wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:
wintower wrote:
northpit wrote:tool is gone....retired,...... time to move on,anyhow stalinist cuomo sent a few interns to dc to "make it look good" the contempt the mta shows for its workers is astounding they really want to bankrupt us all. just as an aside i know the mta board is highly educated, but does any of the board know how to ; loop the p wire, clean snow out of a switch,write orders,do a brake test,2B a train.......with all there education and political connections . in a bind they cant do anything , funny how the people who know how to do stuff are ruled by people who dont
Substitute the word "Amtrash" for "MTA" and you get an idea how things at Amtrash are run…...
It is AMTRAK and not what you think it is. Besides it has nothing to do with the LIRR.
Noel Weaver
Since when are you a moderator here? MYOB.
My friend, I spent a lot of time in the railroad industry and I worked Amtrak trains for a good period out of Penn Station. I have ridden many a good mile on Amtrak and I refuse to let the likes of you downgrade it on here even through his site has little to do with Amtrak. Tend to the Long Island on here and you will be better off. You don't know everything and sometimes I think you know very little.
Noel Weaver
  by LIRR272

As I said earlier, the only common thing about both companies is that they are railroads. That it. Period.
  by Slippy

Obama yesterday empaneled Presidential Emergency Board No. 245, which over the next 60 days will review the final offers from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and the LIRR unions, and then select the offer that it finds "the most reasonable."

The board's members are chairman Joshua Javits, Elizabeth Wesman and David Vaughn -- each full-time, veteran arbitrators with decades of experience.
Obama Names new board of mediators for LIRR

PEB round 2... fight!!
  by Slippy

So..The LIRR supposedly offered the unions a deal before PEB 245. It gave everything the PEB 244 said but wanted to eliminate the MTA defined plan in favor of a 401k. Unions said no. Years ago we had Vanguard, then the MTA wanted us to opt out of it in favor of a defined pension around 2003. Now they want a 401k plan. Labor said no setting stage for PEB 245.

To be continued...
  by rdl1972

What's even more comical in this situation is the MTA issuing 37,000 universal rail passes to the Transit Amoebas.So the MTA is so broke and it can afford to give an extra $4000 annual benefit to 37,000 employees , that's $148,000,000 in lost MTA revenue folks . You think commuter rail lines are crowded now , let everyone at transit ride free ? Are they including family priveledges too? One word PATHETIC !
  by Slippy

Look at it this way - it's ingenious thinking. Nobody at NYCT have to worry about LIRR or MNRR conductors threatening not to ride them if they pass that deal. Under cutting A.S. with a small price to pay.

So much for those sell outs honoring the LIRR strike if it happened... *cough*scabs*cough*
  by inthebag

I read a TWU flyer and the wording seems to imply that it's for commutation to work if you live out in the suburbs. You'd need an address in Nassau/Suffolk to get a LIRR pass and an address in Westchester/CT for the MNR pass. I don't think all NYCT employees will automatically get a pass for both railroads.
  by Marge s

That fat pos must have a swiss bank account. I hope his members vote this thing down and fire his fat ass. HE does this two days before the PEB.I hope his members know that they have to stand when riding on that pass. I don't care if it three am on an empty train .
  by rdl1972

I work for LIRR and I'm super ticked off that Samuelson went groveling before governor Cuomo and hurt us with PEB245. Keep in mind NYCT got 7.5 without givebacks just 4 years ago, we've been without any deal for 4 years. Add that and this current deal and your looking at 15.5 with a 1/2 percent giveback on medical. I hope the rank and file shoot this deal down , it really is nothing special. The universal rail pass the TWU100 Executive board is gloating about only applies to Employees living outside of NYC , thousands of NYCTA Employees will get nothing ! Your buddy who lives Suffolk gets a $ 4000 perk and the poor slob who lives in NYC gets zilch , fair? Historically the LIRR worker has always gotten the most during contract negotiations, why wouldn't your executive board wait a few more months to see how this LIRR situation resolves. Personally, I smell three day old fish. My guess is NYCTA (Samuelsson) and Govenor Cuomo have an under the table deal to take care of NYCTA workers for setting the pattern. Watch NYCTA closely when this deal expires , I bet they get a real Cush contract when this one expires. Thank you Greedy John Samuelson for f 'ing all your supposed union brothers and sister at the LiRR, I hope Anthony Simon learned his lesson about posing for photo ops with greedy John anytime soon
  by Commuter X

Sorry to say this -- but all LIRR employees are tainted by the disability scandal

Junior is going to be hard pressed to give you what you want in a contract

On the other hand, in the middle of a election, the MTA will play hardball if the word strike is mentioned