Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Union Negotiations/Newsday Editorial

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1222767  by lirr42

Newsday's Alfonso Castillo reported late Firday evening that the LIRR and eight of the ten unions that represent LIRR workers have come to an impasse in contract negotiations.

From the article:
[i]Newsday[/i]'s Alfonso Castillo wrote: Impasse in LIRR union negotiations -by Alfonso Castillo

"The unions representing most of the Long Island Rail Road's workforce have reached a critical impasse in contract negotiations that could lead to a strike, the LIRR's top union official said Friday.

"Anthony Simon, general chairman of the United Transportation Union, said that after three years of failed negotiations since their last contract expired, eight of the LIRR's 10 main unions were released from mediation Friday.

"With that milestone reached, a 270-day 'countdown clock' begins, and if an agreement is not reached during that time, LIRR workers have the right to walk off their jobs, Simon said.

"Our main concern is not to hurt the riding public or the commuters out there,' said Simon, adding that he hoped the deadline in nine months would "put pressure on the railroad to come up with a fair deal that we can live with.'

"The collective unions represent more than 5,000 of the LIRR's approximately 6,000 represented workers, including its train conductors...

"The last time LIRR unions came out of the National Mediation Board without a deal in place, in 1994, it resulted in a two-day strike that left 100,000 railroad commuters scrambling to find other ways to get to work and back...

"Simon said there are no immediate plans to return to the bargaining table, but added, "We're always open to negotiations."

Read the full article here: Impasse in LIRR union negotiations
So Long Island may very well be looking at a strike of its own in just nine short months. 270 days will bring us to 7/15/2014. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. (I think I know what time I'll be going away on vacation next summer ;-))

Posted on: Friday, October 18, 2013 No comments:
See More Posts About: Unions
 #1222787  by NH2060

I can only imagine the mess that would result from a LIRR strike. From what I see it would almost (if not) literally bring all of Nassau and western Suffolk to a standstill.

It is 9 months away though so I wouldn't book any plane (or train) ticket just yet ;-)
 #1222830  by DutchRailnut

Negotiations on MNCR are at dead end too.
 #1222874  by lirr42

What have been some of the sticking points lately? I know the LIRR and the unions have been at odds in general a lot recently, but I don't know all that much about the actual things they have been disagreeing on.
 #1222878  by DutchRailnut

one of sticking points is MTA is offering only zero's and no form of COLA's

as for LIRR setting pattern, good luck, hope you guys leave some American Peso's for us after its all over.
 #1222927  by 452 Card

I don't like to be the one to say this, but it is time that the benefits will be paid for per week. This has not happened for over 15 years as the unions have not been held up to it for a contract. Its another cost to the employee but that is the way its going to be, MTA will not settle otherwise. I am no insider but that is my opinion. As a compromise, MTA will give a COLA and nothing else. The rate of pay will probably be the same.
 #1223233  by LIRR272

If a strike happens it would not be a pretty pciture for either side. The newspapers would dig up all the past info on salaries and benefits railroad employees receive compared to other non-railroad workers receive. That would drum up alot of mixed emotions in the public even on this discussion board. I hope something happens quick.
 #1223239  by Steamboat Willie

I think the membership for the majority of unions will be on board with cost of living raises (which isn't substantial), a fair health care plan and minimal to no work rule reductions. As of right now, even that cannot be entertained. The MTA wants at least 3 years of zero's, health care reform that isn't on the average with the rest of the industry and significant work rule reductions. Most everyone is accepting of health care reform, but what they offered is definitely a no-starter.
 #1223283  by truck6018

LIRR272 wrote:If a strike happens it would not be a pretty pciture for either side. The newspapers would dig up all the past info on salaries and benefits railroad employees receive compared to other non-railroad workers receive. That would drum up alot of mixed emotions in the public even on this discussion board. I hope something happens quick.
It's not about looking pretty, it's about the employee's livelihood regardless of the emotions. It is my best guess that the only thing that will happen short of a strike is if an 11th hour deal is accepted.
 #1223360  by Commuter X

With the on-going disability scandals, the LIRR workers will be on the wrong side of public opinion

Yes, it was a a few bad folks, but they have done more damage than many think

Commuter X