Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by li7039

any things out besides the stuff on train-sim.com

i already know about the stuff 7285 made with his MSTS partner

by SeldenJrFireman

What about the Auran Trainz Railroad Simulator 2004, anything for that. I find this game to be 500% better than msts!

by Lirr168

I've got a ton of stuff for MSTS I made but unfortunately cannot release on train-sim.com because of copyright issues. to name a few: DE, C-3 coach/cab car, #102 (heritage paint scheme), M-1, FL9 #301, FM H16-44. At the end of the month I'll be off to college and will have high-speed internet access (finally!), so if people want to wait until then I'll be glad to send stuff out. PM me if you're interested in anything.

p.s. some of the files are really big (>10mb), so first make sure your email can handle such large attachments.

by lirrmike

Did you Zip them? Don't matter, I'll take them! There has been talk of a LIRR route for TrainSim, when? Who knows.

Mike

by Lirr168

Yup, I zip them, but Winzip can only compress things so much, so the files are still huge. Also, the guy who was doing the modern LIRR route seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth, or at least the train-sim.com message boards, lol. I'm holding out hope that the new railraod simulator Kuju (the company behind the original MSTS) is working on might include the LIRR. After all, the LIRR is synonymous with commuter railroading, and I'm sure the MTA would jump at the chance to collect royalties to use the logos.

by alcoc420

Nearly a year ago, I began to expand my PJ branch route by adding tiles from Jamaica to KO, but they did not show up in the route builder utility. This June I finally resumed work and the software finally allowed me to see the tiles. Then, I spent about 20 hours rebuilding divide interlocking in preparation of extending tracks to KO. The mainline tracks were too far apart. I added the crossover on the PJ just east of divide. All double track to Amott was replaced with A2 tracks instead of two sets of A1 tracks. I successfully tested a mapleleaftracks utility to make signal lights brighter. All signals are removed in preparation of installing prr position signals instead of bo color/position signals.

Then a problem. I bought a new computer, but lost my msts cd's. After a few weeks I bought a new set from compusa. Unfortunately, these are atari made, and the cd needs to be in the drive to use the utilities. This is bad because I need the delorme topo cd in the drive at the same time. I have tried unsuccessfully to reinstall and copy the old program from the old computer. So I am looking for my old msts cd's. If I find them, tracklaying should be much faster than when I first built the pj branch. As in the past, I have let folks beta test the route for fun.

by IslesFan

alcoc420 wrote:Nearly a year ago, I began to expand my PJ branch route by adding tiles from Jamaica to KO, but they did not show up in the route builder utility. This June I finally resumed work and the software finally allowed me to see the tiles. Then, I spent about 20 hours rebuilding divide interlocking in preparation of extending tracks to KO. The mainline tracks were too far apart. I added the crossover on the PJ just east of divide. All double track to Amott was replaced with A2 tracks instead of two sets of A1 tracks. I successfully tested a mapleleaftracks utility to make signal lights brighter. All signals are removed in preparation of installing prr position signals instead of bo color/position signals.

Then a problem. I bought a new computer, but lost my msts cd's. After a few weeks I bought a new set from compusa. Unfortunately, these are atari made, and the cd needs to be in the drive to use the utilities. This is bad because I need the delorme topo cd in the drive at the same time. I have tried unsuccessfully to reinstall and copy the old program from the old computer. So I am looking for my old msts cd's. If I find them, tracklaying should be much faster than when I first built the pj branch. As in the past, I have let folks beta test the route for fun.
Have you tried using Daemon Tools to mount an Image of the MSTS CD?

PS: How can I get a copy of your PJ route?

by Paul

I will take anything LIRR (pre 1980) for MSTS, especially the PJ line.

by Long Island 7285

Im working on an RS1 in Tichy for MSTS, at this time it is only in trial as you all know MSTS is 1 hell of a nit picky pain in the caboose to work with. IM NOT PROMISING ANYTHING.

I do have Parlors in the weekender colors for thoes intrested, and I got down and dirty with some of the MN bombs on MSTS and made them look like the P72 2900, (there are things that you can tell apart, but for the most part the look on the money) Red strips only available at this time.

?? will I up load any of these?

Not at this imeidate time as im busy with work and other obligations, but if i get time to do it, i will start with the 17 parlors.

by Long Island 7285

Alright LIRR MSTS fans

MY parlors are uploaded to Train-sim.com log in to the file library and go to new files.

or search "LIPARLORS.ZIP"

by scopelliti

Finally got my PC upgraded to a "real" PC and graphics card, etc. Now I'm able to run the MS sim.. the LIRR equipment is quite neat. After figuring out how to build a consist (documentation? Who ever heard of that?), I built a train with an FM unit and about 15 cars. It was, ummmm.. slow? But, hey it worked! I then added two more units and things got better. Pretty neat.

Thanks for the loco and cars!

by Long Island 7285

Yea. you need 2 or more FM's or what ever else floats your boat, try getting that thing with all 17 of my parlors over CSH grade/curve in msts, its a royal pain in the ass, (why does it need to be harder in the sim then engineers claim it is in real life)

by Richard Glueck

Remember when you construct "The Cannonball" with C-Liners as power, those particular locos MU'd nose to tail, not back to back. It best resembled elephants walking. The Parlors act and sound just like the real train, but the physics somehow don't hold up when you crash or derail. (Come on you guys, admit your guilty pleasures!) In a derailment, the cars turn over, skid, bash along, roll, and plow through building for hundreds, if not thousands of feet. Quite amazing.

by Lirr168

To all of you who asked for copies of my LIRR stuff:

I think I finally obtained satisfactory legal clearance to publish some of my work. My FL9 #301, C-1 coach, and M-1 should be available from the train-sim.com file library tomorrow afternoon. If this goes well, I will be uploading the DE, C-3, and H16-44 very soon.

-Kyle

by badneighbor

cant wait to run the DE/DM unit over Marias Pass, and then pull it back with a pair of MP-15ACs... back to the shops... Simulated DOA DE/DM... what realism.... :P