Railroad Forums 

• Latest Project?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1026436  by mlrr

Steve F45 wrote:what is trim film?
Trim film is simply a one-color sheet of decal paper. Microscale sells various colors for less than 3 dollars per sheet. You simply cut the width you need for your stripe and make a clean cut using a clean exacto knife and a straight metal ruler or straight-edge. A good cutting board is also handy as well.

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/mer ... ry_Code=TF
 #1026487  by ApproachMedium

I have seen this stuff before, it works well. I was going to use pinstripes for some things.
 #1026693  by deandremouse

Other than the 25 tonner, I've been working on the JAMALCO export unit
I ordered the wrong plow by mistake lol.
 #1027728  by Steve F45

Dullcoat will be going on hopefully this weekend. Then the interior will be put back in.
All those tiny decals were a pita.

Those susquehanna units were dull coated today, I need to do one more coat. There were some spotty glossy areas.
 #1027801  by ns3010

Steve F45 wrote:Image
INACCURATE! The CNJ heritage unit will be an SD70ACe, not an ES40DC, and won't be in the coast guard scheme! Your model is wrong! :-)

Seriously though, that's totally awesome! I would have liked to see the heritage unit in the coast guard scheme, but what can you do. However, yours is a "what if" the heritage unit were a GEVO in the coast guard scheme, which is the next best thing. Nice work!
 #1027806  by Cosmo

Well, after the hurricane season last year

and after watching trains "Lionel" their way around this curve all winter:

I finally decided I'd had enough...
So, I got busy!
"Sawyers" on my G-Scale MEC Mtn Div.

Rebuilt mainline and passing siding. Separate spurs for the freight shed team track" and the siding behind the freight shed, which may become a coal trestle soon.

Both the mainline and passing siding were relaid. The main is now solid flex (3 pcs) from switch to switch, improving continuity greatly, as well as the general appearance.
The switches that were in place before were pulled out and replaced with a pair of Aristo switches, and the freight siding was cobbled together with what was left. What's amazing is: I only had to cut 1 RAIL! (I hate having to cut flex pieces if I can help it, because it limits what can use them for later if I change my mind.)

There's still room for me to put the sawmill (or something) siding off of the coal trestle track, but that's minor.
The NEXT big project will be tackling the S-curves on the upper level either side of the bridge.
 #1027969  by Steve F45

ns3010 wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:Image
INACCURATE! The CNJ heritage unit will be an SD70ACe, not an ES40DC, and won't be in the coast guard scheme! Your model is wrong! :-)

Seriously though, that's totally awesome! I would have liked to see the heritage unit in the coast guard scheme, but what can you do. However, yours is a "what if" the heritage unit were a GEVO in the coast guard scheme, which is the next best thing. Nice work!
Whatevs man, whatevs :p I've had this project in the works for well over a year, long before NS announced there's. But since they have and will be doing a SD70ACE in blurple and orange, I may end up doing the same. That or a red baron sd70ace.
 #1027986  by Cosmo

Desertdweller wrote:Great job, Cosmo!

Les
Thanks Les!
 #1028060  by deandremouse

That is One sharp heritage unit!

Mighty Eagle...

Another wrap
 #1028287  by Steve F45

the handrails from intermountain for a cp es44dc came but the front walkway railings do not match up to the NS mounts. So the NS will have to be painted. But the side railings are 99.9% right except for 1 friggin stanchion on conductors side.
And i picked up this walthers diesel house already built off of one of those yahoo groups.
NYSW has 2 units in for front railing repairs
 #1028956  by Cosmo

Meanwhile, up in Massachusetts:
While I've been G Gauging down here in CT, I've managed to make it up to Mass to help my dad out wit the HO. (AM I NOT MERCIFUL!!)

We've pulled some sections from the "old layout" that were put in place around the time I was born...
So...

...the old stuff was mostly rail tacked directly to boards. The idea is to replace it all (eventually) with a more sceniced version that will represent the Back Bay area of Boston.

2 weeks after the above photo, I made it back up to help with:
...a more modular, "freestanding" series of "tables."
Here you can see the supports for the next table too go in:
And here:
the first table in place. (the platform is temporarily placed to show roughly the alignment of the future Back Bay station tracks and platforms.)

By the end of the weekend:
The second table is in place!
The tracks in the foreground above will be temporarily connected to the South Station yard throat module, so we can access:
...the better looking part of the layout, via:
...the temporarily in place lift bridge between Back Bay and "Southie."
All in all, not a bad couple of weekends of work.