Railroad Forums 

• Latest Project?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1025258  by ApproachMedium

Painters tape kid!!! Are you still using markers or have you moved up to a brush? If you taped that white stripe off it would have looked better.
 #1025266  by deandremouse

ApproachMedium wrote:Painters tape kid!!! Are you still using markers or have you moved up to a brush? If you taped that white stripe off it would have looked better.
Nope no markers here. Not since 09(?)

Tape. Blue tape and it still didn't come out the way I wanted. I gave up after 3 tries. Plus I'm not done it wouldn't matter as the lower half of that stripe needs to be red not white.

It only came out perfect on the cab -_-
 #1025272  by ApproachMedium

deandremouse wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:Painters tape kid!!! Are you still using markers or have you moved up to a brush? If you taped that white stripe off it would have looked better.

Tape. Blue tape and it still didn't come out the way I wanted. I gave up after 3 tries. Plus I'm not done it wouldn't matter as the lower half of that stripe needs to be red not white.

Ok well are you spraying with an airbrush, can or just brushing it on by hand?

I dont do much paint but what I would have done is paint the white stripe on first then cover it with a straight line of tape to mark off what you want to keep white then paint the rest of the loco blue. Blue covers white a lot better than white covers blue, so you would probably get the best results that way.
 #1025274  by deandremouse

ApproachMedium wrote:
deandremouse wrote:

Ok well are you spraying with an airbrush, can or just brushing it on by hand?

I dont do much paint but what I would have done is paint the white stripe on first then cover it with a straight line of tape to mark off what you want to keep white then paint the rest of the loco blue. Blue covers white a lot better than white covers blue, so you would probably get the best results that way.

That probably would've been easier too.

^Tried fixing that stripe

#1025308  by mlrr

Trim film works best! As long as you keep a steady hand, have a good cutting board, good exacto knife and a metal strait edge. That's how I got the orange lines on my MARC HHP below:

Prior to pursuing this project I was stuck on how to airbrush crisp orange lines onto the model given the contours of the model itself. Just be sure to do a good job of covering up the trim film with clear coat for protection.
 #1025383  by Crabman1130

Deandremouse,
Paint white and then tape off for stripe. Go over the tape with a burnishing tool. With a razor blade carefully cut tape where there are any ridges that will keep the tape from laying flat. And another piece of tape over the ridge where you cut the tape. Use a burnishing tool over all the tape again. Spray another coat of white or clear to seal everything. Then paint the blue. This should give you a clean line.
 #1025486  by rscott417

Finally got around to painting and finished decals on one of the ECOX boxcars. I used Polly Scale Mineral Red, I'd say it's close enough..
 #1025499  by rscott417

ApproachMedium wrote:That looks wicked awesome sir.
Thanks A.M. much appreciated
 #1025562  by Cosmo

Is that box 1:29 0r 1:32 ?
 #1025569  by rscott417

Cosmo wrote:Is that box 1:29 0r 1:32 ?
If you're talking about mine its ho scale so 1:87
 #1025594  by Cosmo

rscott417 wrote:
Aaaahh.... the outdoor backdrop makes it look like "G scale." Awesome paint job. Decals look superb as well.
 #1025610  by rscott417

Cosmo wrote:
rscott417 wrote:
Aaaahh.... the outdoor backdrop makes it look like "G scale." Awesome paint job. Decals look superb as well.
Thank you, hopefully I can get the other 2 that i have painted decaled today. I ordered a 4th boxcar and probably going to stick with just 4 of them.