• Latest Project?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Desertdweller

Since I model a real place in a limited time frame, actual train schedules and general types of equipment used became very important to me.

One of the greatest sources of enjoyment I've found in connection with my model railroad has been researching and using this information to construct a sequence operating scheme.

I have six railroads to deal with, plus one additional whose train is forwarded over one of the six. Fortunately for me, I model a western terminal that did not see the crushing commuter train load of the eastern cities. Still, I wind up with 20 train pairs in a 24 hour period. 40 arrivals/departures.

No train runs through the terminal, although it is built as a "run through" terminal. Trains that arrive from the north are turned and depart northward. Trains that arrive from the south turn and depart headed back south. Even the trains that continue on east or west that use the terminal as an intermediate station arrive from the north, turn, and depart northward. This is the way the prototype worked. My trains that do this are the UP City of Denver/City of Portland (arrives as one, departs as the other); UP City of St. Louis; UP Portland Rose; CB&Q/D&RGW California Zephyr. One train, the CB&Q Denver Zephyr, contains several cars that are forwarded on south over the Joint Line as the Colorado Springs section of the D&RGW Royal Gorge. I get to switch them out of the Denver Zephyr and cut them into the Royal Gorge.

Les
  by green_elite_cab

Desertdweller wrote:Since I model a real place in a limited time frame, actual train schedules and general types of equipment used became very important to me.

One of the greatest sources of enjoyment I've found in connection with my model railroad has been researching and using this information to construct a sequence operating scheme.

I have six railroads to deal with, plus one additional whose train is forwarded over one of the six. Fortunately for me, I model a western terminal that did not see the crushing commuter train load of the eastern cities. Still, I wind up with 20 train pairs in a 24 hour period. 40 arrivals/departures.

No train runs through the terminal, although it is built as a "run through" terminal. Trains that arrive from the north are turned and depart northward. Trains that arrive from the south turn and depart headed back south. Even the trains that continue on east or west that use the terminal as an intermediate station arrive from the north, turn, and depart northward. This is the way the prototype worked. My trains that do this are the UP City of Denver/City of Portland (arrives as one, departs as the other); UP City of St. Louis; UP Portland Rose; CB&Q/D&RGW California Zephyr. One train, the CB&Q Denver Zephyr, contains several cars that are forwarded on south over the Joint Line as the Colorado Springs section of the D&RGW Royal Gorge. I get to switch them out of the Denver Zephyr and cut them into the Royal Gorge.

Les
That seems pretty close to what I want to pull off.

I agree on the commuter load. i'm actually kinda hating the sheer numbers of passenger trains i'd have to model, but that comes with the (electrified) territory, unless I want to model some distant (Columbia & Port Deposit branch) or low traffic (Jamesburg Branch) electrified line.
  by ApproachMedium

Need to get some smaller SMD LEDs set them back further in the ditch light castings so you can get some lenses over them!
  by JBConn

I set them with microcscale Krystal Klear which makes a nice lens. It works very well for the red ones, where the red LED kind of tints the lens material to look very prototypical. I've considered painting the surface of the lens white to hide the yellow rectangle that is the sunny white LED, but, unless you have a magnifying glass (or are zoomed in in a photo), the white LEDs are not very visible.

The ditch lights on the 1006 can't really be set deeper in the shell without milling the front of the locomotive frame.

Is there a smaller LED than "603" size. I haven't seen it.
  by ApproachMedium

There must be. We put LEDs the size of crumbs in my ALP44s you cant tell they are there. Theres ones in side the tiny strobe light castings.
  by mlrr

Great MBTA work JBConn! Kinda peaks my interest in that agency, :)

In keeping with the theme of commuter equipment, here's my refurubish MARC Bi-levels with Alcad

I'll try and make the next photos I post on the layout itself with the lights working. I now have enough MARC cars to run two MARC trains (I have a 3-car minimum requirement :))
  by deandremouse

Just rebuilt one of the few Athearn engines i have laying around,

Installed a new motorbrush and spring in this one. Also cleaned it up and tested it to make sure it runs.
  by Archer

mlrr wrote:Great MBTA work JBConn! Kinda peaks my interest in that agency, :)

In keeping with the theme of commuter equipment, here's my refurubish MARC Bi-levels with Alcad

I'll try and make the next photos I post on the layout itself with the lights working. I now have enough MARC cars to run two MARC trains (I have a 3-car minimum requirement :))
Love the paint job on those. Man I play with my trains you guys put some real time into things.
  by Steve F45

My custom painted ES44DC and SD70M-2 painted in CNJ Red Baron. Both of these were thought of long before NS had announced there heritage program.
  by Steve F45

Slowly but surely its coming together. I got the replacement decals from highball graphics to do the nose. I also did the entire engineer's side with the data decals from microscale. Tomorrow will be conductors side and roof decals if there are any, then dullcoat. I also got the replacement numberboard housings for the ES44DC, so that will finally be put back together.
  by Steve F45

Ok so models are about 95% done.

The IM ES44DC, needs front handrails w/ditch light housings (ordered CP ones from IM), grab irons for the long hood end and speaker replacement with railmaster hobbies DSM8 and small numbers for front numberboards

Athearn SD70M-2, handrails for the long hood sides in red, front nose and long hood end grab irons installed and front numberboard #'s put on.

Im also debating on whether or not to add a black patch to the top of the nose, like the anti-glar that's put on. What you guys think?
  by Backshophoss

Flat Black on the nose makes sense,otherwise some sort of flat clear coat.
  by ApproachMedium

No clear coat. Flat black. Flat top noses of diesels with light colors are usually covered in something similar to Rhino Liner, but of course not as good. It keeps the glare in the cab to a minimum.
  by Steve F45

floquill engine black goes on flat and then it will be sealed with dullcoat. Shiny looks ok when not fully assembled, once complete dull is better LOL