Railroad Forums 

• Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1630523  by Gilbert B Norman

OK Mr. Amtrakowitz, portions of the CNJ in PA live on, but the '60 Fan Trip I took, and on which I had the privilege to meet The Late Noel Weaver, running on CNJ rail up the East shore of the Lehigh River to Wilkes-Barre, is no longer possible.
 #1630600  by Kaback9

frank754 wrote:Well the old CNJ tunnel north of White Haven according to my search is about 4,600 ft long and I don't think there's ever been any improvements to that, it seems like it was the same it was built in the 19th century.
The rules are probably only enacted when building or re-building a line. Again though they are on the books for liability reasons.
Gilbert B Norman wrote:OK Mr. Amtrakowitz, portions of the CNJ in PA live on, but the '60 Fan Trip I took, and on which I had the privilege to meet The Late Noel Weaver, running on CNJ rail up the East shore of the Lehigh River to Wilkes-Barre, is no longer possible.
We're veering over a few mountains here to a different line fellas, however it's a loaded question as it depends on where you are west of Allentown. Let's leave it at that.
 #1630787  by CRB

Kaback9 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:12 pm
frank754 wrote:Well the old CNJ tunnel north of White Haven according to my search is about 4,600 ft long and I don't think there's ever been any improvements to that, it seems like it was the same it was built in the 19th century.
The rules are probably only enacted when building or re-building a line. Again though they are on the books for liability reasons.
Also guessing that tunnel length is only an issue for passenger service not freight.
 #1631678  by RailfanPhil

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Railroad.net and wanted to share my blog featuring my very own pictures/videos of the Lackawanna Cut-Off Rehabilitation project, both before and during construction/drilling & blasting of the tunnel. I plan on adding pictures as noticeable progress is made.

See the blog here: https://lackawannacutoffrehab.blogspot.com/

ALL ABOARD
 #1631755  by jrevans

RailfanPhil wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:25 am Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Railroad.net and wanted to share my blog featuring my very own pictures/videos of the Lackawanna Cut-Off Rehabilitation project, both before and during construction/drilling & blasting of the tunnel. I plan on adding pictures as noticeable progress is made.

ALL ABOARD
Thanks for sharing your blog. Great pictures there! (And as someone who still has an SX30IS camera, I appreciated that detail.)

That is one impressive cut through the rock.
 #1632381  by Ryand-Smith

RailfanPhil wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:25 am Hi Everyone,

ALL ABOARD
Nice photos. I live nearby and I didn't know if there was a walking path. Do you go by route 202?
 #1634677  by Emmett

Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 12.51.03 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 12.51.03 PM.png (4.15 MiB) Viewed 1890 times
Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 12.55.05 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 12.55.05 PM.png (3.63 MiB) Viewed 1890 times
Here are two pictures from my trip to the cutoff yesterday, of two ALP-44's in particular 4400 and 4427. Made sure to take pictures of the first ALP-44 ever and one of the Last.