• Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by David

Is anything being done or constructed on this line?
  by lensovet

David wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:03 pm Is anything being done or constructed on this line?
Yes? There's literally a link to a blog a few posts above yours that shows pictures of active construction in December.

No updates on said blog, but it's also worth noting that bat hibernation season can continue through April. If hibernating bats were found, work on the tunnel would have had to stop. Work on the rest of the ROW and station could probably continue.
  by cjvrr

The bat issue is only a concern for tree removal. Work in the tunnel would not matter. With the temps climbing and night time lows above freezing work should start moving again.
  by ExCon90

I've just realized that we completely missed the twentieth anniversary of this thread.

Nice to see photographic evidence of progress.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Gotta say, when I originated this topic now twenty years ago, all I had in mind was a five post "asked and answered" topic.
  by David

Why can they not lay track up to the tunnel? And after the tunnel. They could at least do that. How about the crossing after Port Morris ? That could be worked on.
  by lensovet

Any kind of groundwork including stabilization and leveling makes no sense to be done during the winter months as the ground will shift once it thaws.

Freeze warnings were still being issued in South Jersey this past week. We've had crazy weather this year.

They also have a lot to do before laying track. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it will probably be the last thing they do.