Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by PRRGuy

There's been a steady flow of railfans out there since the 4th. One or two everytime I go by.

by Tadman

Well if you see a guy munching on a BK sandwich around noon, that's me. I sometimes get lunch and eat on the platform if I'm in the area.

by JLJ061

I noticed on NICTD's bulletin regarding the project they are now calling the east and westbound mains Tracks 1 and 2 respectively. Does that mean CTC operation is now in effect in that area?

by PRRGuy

Not as of yet no. The newest "deadline" for ctc activation is August at some point.

by PRRGuy

I spoke with the chief dispatcher the other day and he said next week at some point the 1000 + flat cars will be dropping new line poles for the new station trackage..best bet for that is usually tuesdays.

by PRRGuy

Ok ok no work train last week...you guys know how the railroad goes though. Tomorrow a work train is lined up with a 6pm departure from the Shops. Also, starting the 24th we'll be single tracking for about a week while the new interlocking and track is placed on the westbound main.

I believe that work train may be to pick up the old line poles however, they maybe dropping ties also....not sure.

Third times a charm...maybe i'll finally catch one of the elusive work extra jobs..

by PRRGuy

Well, monday and tuesday the Work Extras were cancelled. One is lined up for tomorrow also at 6pm. The story I've heard about this is that we're waiting on some kind of "equipment car" and we'll be dropping new line poles along the R-O-W. I've signed up on the Supplemental board for tomorrow and hopefully *cross fingers* they'll run it and I'll be on it. Guaranteed I'll have a camera if I do.

by PRRGuy

BAH! I was lined up for the job, then they decided to protect another passenger job first and just not take a brakeman. Oh, well...there's another work train lined up for today, same time, same place and once again I'm lined up as brakeman..now that another round of CGOR training is done I'll be able to work it.

Last night besides the work train I noticed that the CMV was parked out by 115th st. So odds are it'll be at Hegewisch again tonight with the 1000.

by PRRGuy

Well, the pre-formed supports for the new Eastbound platform are starting to be put in place. both mains have been moved to accomodate the new platforms and portions of the gauntlet train on the EB installed as well. So far the project looks like it's on schedule.

by PRRGuy

Now, single tracking has started again on the eastbound main and the westhound main from the IHB diamond to the substation has been removed..it looks odd with only one track. Most of the east bound platform bases have been installed.

by JLJ061

Wow, they took down the whole substation? That's kinda strange, it was only about 20 years old!

Once the trackwork is completed will it be put back in service, or was it found unnecessary?

by PRRGuy

Nooo...the substation is still there..the Westbound Main was removed from the east side of the substation breaker to the IHB diamond..near the temp platforms.

by JLJ061

Oh ok, my bad. I thought you said the substation was removed. :P

by PRRGuy

I think that would better listed under the "Train delay" forums lol

"Lack of Electric power"

by PRRGuy

Well, today they started bringing new ties in for the WB gauntlet track, I imagine single tracking maybe done in about another week.