Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Tadman

According to some in the know, there's a high-platform going in at Hegewisch - to update from my recent observations, the fence between NKP and CSS is being removed, some work is being performed on EB track (thurs?) but no actual construction has been present.

by PRRGuy

That construction work at hegewisch is to install signal boxes and cable under the tracks. My guess that it's for the gauntlet type track set up like E.C. and Hammond.

by JLJ061

Are they going to keep the same station building? Would seem like a waste to tear it down since it's less than 15 years old.

by PRRGuy

I don't think they'd tear it down. Most likely they'll build a ramp set up to the platform(s) from the front of the station. I'm still not sure if it will be two platforms or one center one.

by JLJ061

I would figure it would be more practical and cost-effective to use one platform between the mains. For the life of me I still can't figure out why they did TWO platforms in Hammond with one between the mains!

by Tadman

Who knows, that hammond setup is too funny though. Must've been a budget surplus that year.

by PRRGuy

Yeah, i'm not sure what they were thinking with the hammond set up either. I just heard from one of the bosses that it's going to be a single center platform with gauntlet tracks on both sides, similar to the E.C. setup. I wonder how they're planning on crossing the other main..aa crosswalk, over/underpass?

by dinwitty

freight gauntlet track?

by MikeF

dinwitty wrote:freight gauntlet track?
At Hammond and East Chicago, there are gauntlet tracks a foot or two further from the platform than the normal tracks. Freight trains must use the gauntlets to avoid striking the high-level platforms with wide rolling stock.

by PRRGuy

For those of you that haven't been near here recently, construction of the temp platform is underway. It's on the north side of the mains from the IHB to Burnham Ave. Basically, it's just a layer of leveled, crushed stone so far. Also, a construction office trailer was placed just north of the platform.
No construction has been started on the gauntlet tracks as of yet.

by JLJ061

So the temporary station is going to be EAST of the diamonds?

by PRRGuy

Well, the platforms will be yes. The trailor I'm guessing will just be for the construction crews and flagman.

by JamesT4

I went to the NICTD web site and its got a pdf brochure of how the hegewisch high level platforms will be, and it shows the location of those platforms(same set up as hammond, just facing south instead of north).

It may be a matter of time before Gary Metro becomes high level(If it Happens).

link to the brochure.
http://www.nictd.com/info/Hegewisch_Final_Brochure.pdf

Also those who don't know that the station building and parking lots around the SS station, execpt the tracks are Metra Owned.

Also the Hegewisch fares are set be Metra, and not by the South Shore.

by PRRGuy

Last night, one of the NICTD policeman told me that the first date for use of the temp platforms will be July 7th.

by Tadman

Were any forum members railfanning CSS at Hegewisch on weds 7/5? I saw some guys taking pictures from the dirt road between NS and CSS.