Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by badneighbor

Since this thread wandered into definitions, on the midday scanner, I am hearing a reference to the Roustabout... I have heard this mentioned time to time... is this a particular train? explain please...

by Form 19

It's a railroad term for a job that can go anywhere without penalty to the company. They can pick up MU's, diesels, etc. bring them to shops for repair or to switch out trains in various yards. They work as directed daily as opposed to having set schedules and train numbers on a job.

by badneighbor

not a bad job if you like something different each day. would they cover a crew being pulled for training or drug testing or something like that?

by Clem

Most of those are simply covered with an Extra Crew, as the assignment is already known.

There are limitations on what the Company can call a Roustabout for. Otherwise, they'd all be called Roustabouts and the Railroad would never have to pay a penalty for violating an assignment.

Clem

by BMC

I always said that if I had become an Engr. or Condr. the "Roustabout" would be the job I would want because of the variety of jobs they are asked to perform.

For random drug tests the extra crew would report to me and be given all the info to set up the train about 15 minutes prior to the regular assigned crews report.

by Clem

Darn, you would have made one heck of a roustabout conductor, BMC. But that calculating mind was put to much better use in LIC.

Clem

by badneighbor

basically the roustabout is the "utility infielder" that can play any position at any time... ok, thanks for the definition.