Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by ThirdRail7

peanut1 wrote:If theirs no HHP's avaliable, why don't they just use MP15 from Amtrak to bring them through the tunnels and into Harold? I have seen Amtrak MP15's in Penn Station before and you would need less of them then using a bunch of AEM's.
There are 3 HHP-8s in position. Two for lead, 1 protect/chaser. If the train is ready, it should enter AMT territory around 915am. The next slot is 1010ish for Penn Station.
  by lirrfan

dedm30junk wrote:According to the Road Scratch Sheet 4 crews to report to Morris Park at 7am to pick up locomotives.RF1 RF2 RF3 RF4 all included Conductor and Engineer.
Lower montauk or Mainline?
  by Fla East Coast Chris

Mainline Harold to Jamaica!!
  by srock68

Mr rt wrote:Two best places to watch the train:
- Railfans Commercial & Clinton ... where they break apart the train
- Kids Quentin Roosevelt Blvd & Commercial ... stand on the east side of the street & the elephants will walk right by you ... get there early before the cops won't let you walk to that spot.
I would like to take my 1 year old son to see the elephants. Where is a good viewing area? I tried to locate Roosevelt on Google Maps bit cannot find it. I did locate Commercial & Clinton.
  by krispy

LI Children's museum has a caper where you park your car in their lot, pay $8 a head and bring your kids inside. They keep the kiddies amused until the circus actually walks the elephants, then they'll parade out the kiddies to watch the pachyderms head off to the Coliseum. They advertise the event from 6 until 9pm, to account for any snafus encountered while laying up the train.

Being the cheapest human alive I would normally spurn such a heinous fee, but if I had young'uns in tow, then it doesn't sound so bad.

http://www.licm.org/images/LICM_Circus_BrkWk12.pdf
  by RFCNYC

What is the best option to watch or film the circus train ? Forest hills (Since I am near that location) Or perhaps Nassau Blvd.
  by srock68

krispy wrote:LI Children's museum has a caper where you park your car in their lot, pay $8 a head and bring your kids inside. They keep the kiddies amused until the circus actually walks the elephants, then they'll parade out the kiddies to watch the pachyderms head off to the Coliseum. They advertise the event from 6 until 9pm, to account for any snafus encountered while laying up the train.

Being the cheapest human alive I would normally spurn such a heinous fee, but if I had young'uns in tow, then it doesn't sound so bad.

http://www.licm.org/images/LICM_Circus_BrkWk12.pdf

Thank you.
  by SlackControl

Any updates on it's location yet? This is the first time in a while I can remember it being such a clear day for the circus train's arrival. Barely a cloud in the sky!
  by R36 #9346

SlackControl wrote:Any updates on it's location yet? This is the first time in a while I can remember it being such a clear day for the circus train's arrival. Barely a cloud in the sky!
Waiting at Jamaica. Wondering the same thing.
  by CFDChris237

At Harold. Amtrak just disconnected and LIRR is hooking up
  by lirrfan

Just in case you guys are wondering, the Circus Train isn't even near Forest Hills Station yet and it's a couple minutes after 12 PM. If I see it pass by (I live near Forest Hills Station) I'll notify you guys.
  by R36 #9346

lirrfan wrote:Just in case you guys are wondering, the Circus Train isn't even near Forest Hills Station yet and it's a couple minutes after 12 PM. If I see it pass by (I live near Forest Hills Station) I'll notify you guys.
Thanks. I'll let the board know when it's through Jamaica.
  by SlackControl

I will be watching somewhere along the Hempstead branch. Might try Stewart Manor. Nice sweeping curve west of the station, and the crossing at the east end should make a nice scene. Otherwise I'll do the old standby, Garden City.
  by CFDChris237

In at Stewart manor now, apparently it just passed queens blvd
  by lirrfan

The Circus Train and the chase engine just passed my house and should be at Forest Hills Station by now. Time is 12:48 PM.