• Blue Line Extension ROW

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by jake1966

On how the buildings were allowed to build on this area. I believe in the mid 1980s the condo building that has the parking lot located in the ROW started building without permits or permits that should not have been allowed. Work on the building was stopped and it sat partially completed for many years. It was finally finished, but the people who own the units still have an issue regarding the parking lot. I remember seeing a story on one of the local news channel (early 1990s) showing how the title to their property was almost null and void due to the property being so close and on T ROW. Things may have changed since then though.
  by MBTA3247

trainhq wrote:We took a look at this route several years ago. After quite a bit of study, it was dropped for two reasons.
First, the ROW is too crowded and built upon. Second, the track and bridgework from Point of Pines would
have been much more expensive and disruptive to existing facilities. It was dropped from consideration; I do not believe it will be examined again.
They keep doing new studies of the Blue Line extension every few years, so why wouldn't they keep considering that route?
  by trainhq

Well, why not? It's certainly possible. They can keep busy studying it as long as they want. Since they won't be able to build anything for another ten years anyway, they have plenty of time to examine it two or three more times and then throw it out.
The final alignment will be along the existing CR line; I wouldn't take anything else seriously.
  by AutisticPsycho

3rdrail wrote:I'm trying to remember my walk through there and I believe that at the time it occured to me that the ROW was not actually through the building structure itself but through it's parking lot which is directly behind it. I know that for a building of that size that there would have to be parking large enough for most, if not all, of the units inside, and that property would most likely have to be included for that purpose in the original specs for approval. So...how did that parcel come to be used this way ? Could the lot be actually owned by the MBTA with an agreement for use until at which time the T wants it back ? I'm sure that it was thought at the time of building construction that the ROW was just an old "ruin", but how do you buy a piece of property that's owned by the State that the State doesn't sell you ? Likewise, how did the city of Revere issue a building permit ? I'd like to expand my back yard by building on my neighbors yard but I don't think that it would wash. :-D
My dad has repeated this story to few times this past year whenever I bring up the Blue Line.
How the guy go it built on the ROW, I dunno.

However, that property, whenever it was built, he couldn't get enough buyers and the property ended up being a loss for him...
So my dad says he wrote a letter to the Item saying that the T and the state should build the BL using the BRB&L ROW... so (of course, he failed to mention this part ;)) he could recoup the losses by having the building taken by eminent domain. :P

Anyways, this spot right here is the crucial point IMO. You can either barrel it down the old BRB&L or you have the nice patch of marshland with no property on it and you can either tunnel or bridge over 1A.

Also, It's pretty obvivous that the ROW ran under Revere St on that bridge there... and as for losing it at Kelly's... follow the yellow marshland plant road that's lined with telephone poles. :wink:
To be honest, you can see it from North Shore Rd, were it was, all those telephone poles just sticking down in the marsh are part of the ROW.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

AutisticPsycho wrote:Anyways, this spot right here is the crucial point IMO. You can either barrel it down the old BRB&L or you have the nice patch of marshland with no property on it and you can either tunnel or bridge over 1A.
Unfortunately I doubt you can build on that marsh land. With the Wetland Protection Act, all marsh lands are protected sanctuaries now. Funny, cause I doubt anything is living in that section. It must be heavily polluted.
  by diburning

If it's polluted, then they will spend millions and millions of dollars cleaning it up, trying to save it, go overbudget, take many decades, then finally de-pollute (is that even a word?) the area.

Can't the blue line run OVER the marsh on a trestle bridge or something similar?
  by theseaandalifesaver

[quote=

Unfortunately I doubt you can build on that marsh land. With the Wetland Protection Act, all marsh lands are protected sanctuaries now. Funny, cause I doubt anything is living in that section. It must be heavily polluted.[/quote]

You're an idiot and the most ignorant person not only on this board but probably in the entire world.

The Marsh is, IN FACT, filled with plenty of life such as plants, fish, birds, insects and tons of other living things.

The world could use less of people like you and you in general.

Even if you were just making some innocent joke. That's something you shouldn't joke about.
  by Charliemta

I think the solution is to build an elevated structure along and above Route 1A until the line crosses over into Lynn, then use the two vacant tracks on the commuter rail line inside Lynn.

Seattle has built some very attractive, sleek elevated structures for its light rail extansion to its airport recently. That would look good along Route 1A
  by sixflagscoasters

^ Why would he be kidding?

The MBTA built a new one on the Mattapan-Ashmont Line, at Ashmont station to loop over the Red Line.
  by MBTA3247

sixflagscoasters wrote:^ Why would he be kidding?

The MBTA built a new one on the Mattapan-Ashmont Line, at Ashmont station to loop over the Red Line.
Hmm, maybe if we remind the T about this they'll move the loop back to the Peabody Square end of the station. :P
  by Charliemta

Here's what Seattle has done. This would look great along Route 1A for the Blue Line extension:

by madcrow

I must say, I don't much care for the way the Seattle El looks. It reminds me of a freeway overpass more than anything.
  by Charliemta

An elevated structure would not be necessary if the Blue Line were to be built along the blue route I propose. It could be a surface line:

by sixflagscoasters

CharlieMTA =Your above images are not working, could you please post them again, or just post a link to them?