• Article: VT: Passenger train routes may be cut

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by jp1822

I am familiar with the Montrealer's check points at Cantic, PQ and St. Albans, VT, (when it ran) as well as the current check points for the Adirondack at Rouses Point.

As mentioned, I had thought at ONE time in Amtrak's history they used a common check point for both trains for a period of time, but obviously this is NOT the case.

It's too bad, as if these trains could use the same check points (if the Vermonter was to return to Montreal), it might save on some logistics or costs between the trains.
  by shadyjay

Update:
Apparently Amtrak service as we know it today in Vermont will not be spared the budget cut axe....

The Ethan Allen Express is on the chopping block....
http://www.rutlandherald.com/article/20 ... 002/NEWS01

The Vermonter, from what I hear, will be retained on its full route, as even if it were cut to White River Jct, it would still deadhead to St Albans to be serviced.
  by Dick H

According to the article below, the state is planning a bus route starting in Burlington, with stops in Middlebury, Rutland, Manchester and Bennington, enroute to Albany. It sounds like an Amtrak "Throughway" operation. Since the state will be taking bids for the service, it would appear that there might be some state subsidy. Also noted in the article is a comment that the elimination of the Ethan Allen is temporary. But we all know how temporary things become permanent.

http://www.benningtonbanner.com/ci_11251250

Besides Rutland and Fair Haven, the losers in this deal include Ft. Edward, Saratoga and Schenectady. And there is no promise that Amtrak will continue to run a train on the Ethan Allens schedule between Albany and New York City.

Dick
  by jp1822

The bus service mentioned should have been the route of the Ethan Allen Express. It's too bad that this train couldn't have spent "more time" travelling in Vermont as opposed to its entry into the middle of the state. And for what it is worth, I wonder if this particular train just operated on a Friday to Monday schedule. And it was this train that even had a double frequency at one time! Oh well!

Course, perhaps we will see a last minute reversal of some kind - who knows!